Monday, January 31, 2011

Flying Geese.... and dogs

The rain stopped at some point during the night, the wind blew away the clouds, and the temperature dropped way. down. low.  I woke up this morning to find rain drops frozen on the windows, the barn roof pure white with frost, and a thin veneer of ice on the ground.  It was very pretty and I was sorry that I didn't have my camera with me while I was feeding.  There is a tree stump in the orchard that I use for a seat or to rest my gardening tools on.  Kersey likes to jump up there in the mornings for a belly rub.  This morning she ran through the orchard, jumped on the stump, hit the veneer of ice, slid across the top, through the air and landed on her doggy butt on the other side.  ...looking very confused.

The sun was out and the sky was pure blue so the ice started melting fast.  While I was mucking in Kalvin's paddock, I noticed that as he was happily eating his bucket of vitamins he had a large amount of steam coming off his back.  I walked around him to other side and, sure enough, he had just rolled in the mud. 

After finishing at the barn,  I hustled up to the house and got ready for work.  As I was driving north on the freeway I saw a big flock of geese flying in formation.  We see ducks fairly often but geese are rare in our neck of the woods so it was very cool. 

That's the news for today! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely morning :) Hope nothing's hurt but Kersey's pride lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!