Sunday, January 9, 2011

or maybe not an ulcer...

This afternoon I decided to do a fecal test on Jackson.  He was wormed about a month ago, he doesn't typically carry many worms, and it's winter so I was SURE it would be clean.  Mistake #1, never be SURE.  He has a pretty heavy load of roundworms.  Go figure.  So, I canceled the vet appt for Wednesday and I'll buy wormer tomorrow.  I may even give him a seven day intensive since the last dose didn't completely work. 

And, yes, I do my own fecal tests.  One year for Christmas Santa brought me all the stuff.  My family (not horsey at all) was appalled as I opened gifts of fecal solution, etc.  It's really not hard and I don't like the idea of worming "just because."  Plus, there is all the concern now with the worms becoming resistant (maybe part of the issue here?) so this way I can target the specific parasite and zap them.

First I collect a small sample in this little container.  I fill it with fecal solution, agitate, put a slide on top and let it rest 20 minutes.
sample in solution with slide





Then I put on a cover slip and put it under the microscope.  You don't need super duper magnification.  A school microscope works fine.




I have my reference book handy:

I like this book because it has great pictures.  Here's the page for roundworms.

So, hopefully Jackson will be feeling better soon.  And, boy do I feel dumb!!! 

8 comments:

  1. Ah! That had crossed my mind but I hate to jump to conclusions with limited information. At least you found the source! I've struggled with roundworm resistance in the past as well. Panacur Power Pacs seem to wipe them out the best for me.

    I love your kit that you have set up for testing! Do you have the info of where you got the solution? VERY cool (and I can understand why your family didn't understand--mine is the same way, looking at me weird when I talked about inseminating a mare. They couldn't appreciate the experience like I could LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting that you've got the equipment to do it yourself - doesn't look too difficult. Hope treating that solves the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where Brett got the solution and collection tubes (it was awhile ago) but I know he got the stuff online. I think there are a number of sources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's not only wise and appropriate but also very responsible to check your equines for worms instead of just dosing them "because the calendar says so."

    Do you use a dropper to take the solution out and put it on the slide?

    And, I don't understand why some family would look askance at 'doing' stool samples yourself... it's only poo.

    Kind regards, Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - do it yourself! I hope your sweet Jackson is feeling better soon - nasty worms! Ugh - the worms are definitely more disgusting than the manure!

    I had to test manure for many years at the large animal vet clinic where I worked. I think we called it "floating" and it looked exactly like what you are doing. I was horrible though when it came to looking in the microscope and identifying things. I would say, "Oh, there is something!" and Doc would say, "no, that is a piece of grain." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that you do the fecal tests yourself. You've inspired me - I'm going to look up all the items online.

    Hope Jackson feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't even know you could buy this stuff yourself! A lot easier than having to send it in the mail to a lab somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to deal with round worms here too. I wonder if they're becoming particularly resistant or it's just coincidence.

    Doing your own testing sounds like a great plan. I wonder if I could actually see anything through the microscope with my weird eyes. I would have to check that out first but I might give this a try. I hate giving wormer just because. Being able to be specific just makes so much more sense.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!