Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Signature Themes: Intellection

The second signature theme that drives me is called "Intellection."  This does not mean I am an intellectual, thinking deep thoughts.  It simply means that I like to think.  As in, I can't turn the brain off even when I want to.  And, obviously, the equestrian discipline that never lets you stop thinking is....dressage.  Bingo.  Think about training, think about tests, think about rhythm and tempo and impulsion and schwang... think.  think.  think.

Here is the definition given by the book/survey tool (emphasis mine):

You like to think. You like mental activity. You like exercising the “muscles” of your brain, stretching them in multiple directions. This need for mental activity may be focused; for example, you may be trying to solve a problem or develop an idea or understand another person’s feelings your horse. The exact focus will depend on your other strengths. On the other hand, this mental activity may very well lack focus. The theme of Intellection does not dictate what you are thinking about; it simply describes that you like to think. You are the kind of person who enjoys your time alone because it is your time for musing and reflection. You are introspective. In a sense you are your own best companion, as you pose yourself questions and try out answers (is he off or unbalanced?  if I half halt in a corner, does he rebalance? ) on yourself to see how they sound. This introspection may (often) lead you to a slight sense of discontent as you compare what you are actually doing with all the thoughts and ideas that your mind conceives. Or this introspection may tend toward more pragmatic matters such as the events of the day or a conversation that you plan to have later. Wherever it leads you, this mental hum is one of the constants of your life. 

Poor Jackson.  I'm constantly thinking of new patterns to ride, new turn out schedules, and I analyze each ride to death before, during and after.  These pictures are from a lesson this past January.
 





3 comments:

  1. I remember those shots. You were in deep thought during that ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this one funny!

    Jackson looks like a million bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My old teacher Joan had a constant refrain - dressage requires you to be a thinking rider. Seem like she repeated it multiple times each lesson and tried to get me to figure things out before telling me what to do.
    You are concentrating very hard in your lesson. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!