Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Friends

Jackson and Kalvin are buddies.  This is all well and good when they are standing head-to-tail giving each other a massage.  It isn't so good when they ricky-race around.  Kalvin isn't supposed to be running on his foot and Jackson isn't supposed to be pounding on his laminitis.  I had been opening the back of Jackson's stall into the pasture during the heat of the day.  I was sure he wouldn't be racing around in 100F degree heat.  I was wrong.  I went out to do the evening chores the other night and there he was, standing stock still in the pasture, pleading with his eyes and bobbing his head.  He didn't have to move, I knew his foot hurt.  I enticed him back to his stall with an apple and locked his gate.

So instead of afternoon turnout, I've been putting him in the arena while I muck so he can roll and walk around a bit.  Kalvin isn't close by to egg him on if he throws in a few bucks.  Running and playing on sand is a lot easier on his feet than the hard packed dirt in the pasture.  Last night I put him in the arena and sat down on the mounting stump in the corner to watch him.

The dogs were out and Kersey decided to squeeze through the rails of the fence and sit with me.  Specifically, she sat between my knees leaning against my leg trying to expose as much of her belly as possible for rubs.  Jackson came over to investigate.  They have touched noses before -- Jackson reaching his neck over his stall door and lowering his head to investigate.  Kersey tries to lick Jackson's nose.  Jackson shrinks back in disgust.  But then he sticks his head back down and they repeat.  So, when Jackson ambled over to us in the arena I wasn't worried although I thought Kersey might be.  Jackson has chased her out of the pasture in the past.

After a few minutes of Jackson nudging Kersey, I got up to get Jackson's halter.  I expected Kersey to follow me out of the arena, glued to my leg.  Instead, she stood behind the stump with her nose in the corner and her rump pointing out next to the stump.  Jackson leaned down and I caught my breath expecting him to bite Kersey on the back (which is what he does to the donkeys at times).  Instead, he started wiggling his lips and giving Kersey a butt massage.  Kersey didn't move a muscle.  She looked surprised, confused - and happy.  When Jackson moved up Kersey's back and began chewing on her collar I stopped the party.  I had visions of Jackson lifting the poor dog up in the air and flinging her across the arena.

And, of course, I didn't have the camera with me. 

2 comments:

  1. my old mare used to do that to my barn cat. even rubber-lipping her ears... made a friend of mine crazy, thinking the cat was going to be earless any minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (and to answer your question on how we're doing in the drought/heat, i've been extremely grateful we don't run cattle here and i only have to buy feed and hay for 2 spoiled horses. and our pond is drying up, but i'm hoping we'll get some rain before i have to start rescuing turtles and watching fish die. some of the neighbors have lost theirs. september has got to be kinder...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!