Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Waiting For Winston

Brett drove up to Fresno to get Winston yesterday.  He spent the night there, loaded up Winston this morning, and started driving home.  He called me at 9:20 to say he was on his way home.  Winston loaded easily and everything went like clockwork. They should arrive late this afternoon, hopefully before dark.

I've put all my anticipation energy to work.  I scheduled a lesson with our trainer for the first weekend in February.  I made an appointment with our body work/saddle fit/nutrition guru for next week.

I moved some halters so there is a hook in the barn aisle ready and waiting to belong to Winston.

I labeled his bucket and set it on the table in the feed room.

I added his name to the white board above the feeding room table.  He's never had vitamins or carrots before.  Welcome to the good life, Winston!  We keep a huge bag of carrots in the feed room refrigerator.  We always add a handful or two to the horses' morning buckets.


Meanwhile, here at home Jackson was not having a good day.  This morning he hobbled in from the pasture for his morning bucket of vitamins.  I added some bute to the mix and kept him in.  I'm sure the itty bitty bit of rain we had last weekend softened his soles just enough to make them hurt.   After finishing breakfast, he laid down in the sun in his turnout.  When I walked into his stall to visit him, he didn't get up or look at me.

His ears were on me, but he stayed on the ground for my entire visit.  Everytime his laminitis flares up, my heart breaks all over again.

7 comments:

  1. How exciting!! Can't wait to watch your journey with Winston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. am looking forward to hearing winston and your hubby are home and settled.

    i am SO sorry for jackson. i know you are doing everything you can for him, but it can't be a comfortable life at times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for you and sad at the same time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your feed room looks familiar.

    Winston must be there by now and I can't wait to see some pictures. Hopefully Jackson will improve quickly...he will be pretty motivated with a new horse on the property.

    Oh happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a mix of emotions you must be going through.
    I'm so excited to see Jackson in his new home.
    May Jackson feel much better soon. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I think I made an old lady typo. I meant I'm excited to see Winston in his new home, and I hope Jackson feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jackson. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!