Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spic and Span

I love the gardens when the winter pruning is finished.  Everything looks neat and tidy, clean and bright.  I finished the orchard pruning a few days ago and Brett helped me spread compost under the trees.  The peach tree is ready to burst into bloom already, the buds are swelling on the branches.


After lunch today, I tackled the arbor rose.  The arbor is starting to fall apart.  I cut off all the old canes so Brett can reinforce the structure.  With the arbor cleaned of any canes and the espaliered apples pruned, the garden entrance looks neat and tidy.

Inside the garden, the artichokes are green as are the strawberry plants.  I have garlic and beets poking through the soil in one of the planter beds.  Tarragon and mint are starting to green up as well.  I even have flowers -- my carnation doesn't seem to realize that it is January. 

In the corner of the garden is a large stock tank.  It's been sitting there empty for years.  Ideas?  I'm thinking about filling it with water in the spring, adding some lilies and gold fish and making it into a water garden. 

It's cloudy and overcast today, although not particularly cold.  There is a chance of rain tomorrow but it will be a light warm rain, from Mexico, if we get any precipitation at all. 

I won't know.  I'll be in Fresno riding Winston!!  Fortunately, the rain isn't forcast to get that far north.

A quiet rest of the afternoon on tap; Camille and a friend coming up later for dinner and to spend the night; a warm fire; a pot of chili and cornbread for dinner... 

A good day.


5 comments:

  1. cleaning house / nesting before the new baby arrives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe here! My garden always looks like someone has used it as a tip!
    How do you do it? I dont have the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buds and flowers....I'm green with envy. In western NY, we're months away from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so ready...for spring and Winston. We are freezing back here.
    Have a great ride tomorrow and take pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stock tank made into a garden pond would be a wonderful addition to your garden. I so enjoy having a garden pond among my gardens. Summer evenings by the fire pit & the sound of rippling water is so relaxing. Watching the toads sit by the pond in the moonlight is fun. Good luck. Blessings.
    Lara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!