Friday, December 28, 2012

Potato Galette


The secret to this recipe is to use a sweet onion, such as Walla Walla, and to cook the galette in a 9" or10" cast iron skillet.  It doesn't stick, I swear, and it comes out just beautiful with the onions and thyme caramelized on top.  It looks difficult but it's super easy.  It uses a lot of fresh thyme -- 12 sprigs, it's not a typo.  They caramelize and taste amazing.  For the cheese I used a bag of shredded Mexican mixed cheeses (cheddar, jack, etc) but you can also use Gruyere and mozzarella.  I think its best when you mix at least two kinds of cheese together.

2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
12 sprigs of thyme
1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
3/4 to 1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups grated or shredded cheese
salt
freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F.   Melt butter in a 9-10 inch cast iron frying pan over medium heat.  Add the thyme and the onion.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Put the potatoes, oil, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss together.  Put the potato mixture on top of the onions.  Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and tender.  Turn upside down on a large plate and serve.

There won't be any leftovers.  Guaranteed.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks. I'm going to do this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I dont believe there would be! Looks simply de-lish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not potatoes - onions!!

    Thanks for the lovely recipe Annette - I'll be making it this weekend.

    Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this for sure! I love a good potato dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou !
    I made this tonight to go with our stuffed chicken breasts. It was a total hit.

    I didn't have any sweet onion so I sprinkled a pinch of sugar over when it was cooking to caramelize it.

    yummmy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!