Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Feasting

Christmas was quiet at Aspen Meadows this year.  My parents spent Christmas at my sister's house, and the rest of our brothers and sisters were staying home for the holiday.  Christmas eve we feasted.
For breakfast, I made donuts while we waited for Camille to arrive back home.

While they were in the oven, Camille called.  Her car was overheating and she didn't know what she should do.  We told her to head back to her father's house since she was closer to him and there was no way her car would make it up the mountain.  Before she could get off of the freeway, the engine starting seizing up so she pulled over to the shoulder and called AAA for a tow.  Brett headed down the mountain to go pick her up.  Throughout the entire ordeal, Camille held it together.  She didn't have a panic attack, she fought her fear and got the situation dealt with.  I was so proud of her. 

I set the table while Kyle and I waited for Camille and Brett to arrive.


At lunch time, I made clam dip and stuffed mushrooms.  I poured us each a kir royale (champagne and cassis).  The feasting began.  I made a loaf of challah bread to have with dinner.

Our first course was salad with roasted acorn squash, Parmesan cheese and pomegranate seeds.  Very festive and very tasty.

Brett provided comic relief with a napkin ring.


Then I carved the tenderloin steak into filet mignon steaks and turned out the potato galette.  We feasted until we couldn't eat anything more. 


We went to bed stuffed and tipsy from the champagne, wine with dinner, and a bit of eggnog for dessert.

The next morning, Brett and I were up early to do chores and fill the stockings.  By the time we got back in the house after feeding, the kids were stirring.  The tree was bursting with packages.  I like the look of lots of packages under the tree so I wrap all our gifts in big boxes. 

Kyle and Camille sat on the couch while I got my coffee.  Kyle read Christmas books from their childhood to Camille.  It was too cute.

After opening the gifts, Camille and Kyle headed down the mountain to spend the rest of Christmas Day with their dad.  Camille was also very anxious to see her boyfriend.  Imagine that.  Brett and I spent Christmas afternoon and evening at my cousin, Nancy's, home.  I hadn't seen her in years.  My aunt was there as was another cousin, Linda, who lives in Tennessee. Brett and her husband hit it off big time.  Linda and Nick have an organic farm in Tennessee so you can imagine all the tractor talk that went on.  Linda's daughter, Carrie, and her boyfriend were also there for a few hours before they left to drive home to Las Vegas.  We had a great time sharing memories and laughing.  It was a warm and wonderful time.  My aunt, who is 82, looked great.  She was sitting with her feet tucked up under her in a noodley way that I can't even imagine doing now, much less at 82. 

Last night another storm moved in, weak but cold.  It's moving out this afternoon but temperatures are going to stay in the 40s all week.



10 comments:

  1. sorry about camille's car! but it sounds like it all worked out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, you don't mess around when it comes to cooking and baking. I want to order a dozen donuts and need the recipe for that salad and the potatoes. I'm drooling. BIG snow is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Camille's car - we have a worse car story tho, George crashed my niece's car on Christmas eve, he was unhurt but the car might be written off as it's quite old and may not be worth repairing. we are mortified :-(
    Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas other than the car incident - as did we!
    That cold rainy day was here yesterday, it was horrible, just like being back in Ireland! Today is not so bad, I hope this better weather makes it down to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering! The bread and potato dish look divine.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another super delicious post Annette! However did you get the potato spirals (?) on the top of your galette - inquiring minds and all...

    Wishing all the best in the coming year to everyone at Aspen Meadows. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. those potoatoes look delicious! can I have the recipe?

    I'm glad that everyone had a Merry Christmas and hope that Camille's car is an easy repair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos and a wonderful Christmas. Again - I love how you describe everything perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have decided that you are a better cook than me! So I`m booking passage to your place, might be over for tomorrows lunch! Save me some? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything sounds wonderful, except for Camille's car. Your food looks as beautiful as I imagine it tasted!! Homemade donuts - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's another request for the potato dish recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!