1. Yesterday, after two days of work by two plumbers, we got water back in the barn. Brett estimates that the pipes burst in at least 15 places, blowing holes right through the insulation he so carefully wrapped around every pipe.
2. Last night we dipped back into the 20s. I helped Brett prepare the barn. After turning off the water, he disconnected all the automatic waterers and drained the lines into a pail. While he worked his way around the barn opening faucets and letting the water splatter and dribble into his pail, I flushed the toilet and opened the sink faucets. Then I went outside and helped disconnect all the hoses, opening those faucets as well. When every pipe had been drained, Brett closed all the doors to the barn; aisle doors, side doors, stall doors. We left the water off today and will not turn it back on until we warm up.
3. The last of the snow has melted away. Other than the big snow storm, we haven't had much rain and are facing draught conditions. The ski resorts are suffering. There isn't enough of a base to attract skiers and some of them have closed until we get another storm. I don't think my sister and her family will be coming over to ski next week as planned. The kids will just have to come back up when the conditions improve to ski with their cousins.
4. I had to put my lessons with Katy on indefinite hold. The hard freeze was a financial disaster. After fixing the well, the barn pipes and purchasing a boat load of insulation, there is no money left for training me and Winston. I'll slog through on my own until we get back on our feet. Fortunately, Winston isn't the first horse I've trained so I can do the basics on my own. And the basics are everything in dressage.
5. The kitchen is nearing completion. Tomorrow and Monday, the electrical outlets will be finished and the lighting installed. The pantry doors and butcher block counter top/work area won't be delivered until mid January. I'm letting go of my Christmas baking. I can bake next week; I don't have to have everything done before my parents and the kids arrive Monday. Right?
Are you ready for Christmas?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad