Monday, December 5, 2011

Tough Week on Tap

I have been dreading this week at work and I will be so happy when it is over.  I try not to blog about work -- I think the animals are much more interesting to read and write about -- so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the situation at work.

It is going to be a sucky week.  We are just finishing up a voluntary separation.  One of my long time employees is taking it which is good.  She was going to retire next year and this gives her some added money to sweeten that departure but it is still sad to see her go.  Unfortunately though, we did not get enough voluntary volunteers.  This week we will be working to determine the involuntary layoffs.  I've been told that my position is "safe" but I may need to cut in my department.  I have great staff.  They are smart and capable.  They work hard.  They are reliable.  They are wonderful people and friends.  My stomach has been in a knot since the weekend. 

I know more than a few of my blogger buddies have been victims of reductions in force.  I know this isn't unique to me.  And, I know our hospitals need to do this to survive.  But all of that doesn't make it any easier for me.  I'm restless and exhausted all at the same time. 

So, bear with me if my posts are a bit disjointed this week.

11 comments:

  1. good luck to you and those you work with. my company went thru a couple rounds of these voluntary, then involuntary things for a few years before finally selling out to a competitor (when we all pretty much got let go at the corp. office). not fun, and very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exact same thing is happening in our little town. January will not be fun for many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to often fall just before the holidays which is miserable. However the known is preferable to the unknown, so delaying this is not a kindness. Being a grown-up sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is so hard, I sympathize with you. Take care of yourself, stress can be tough on the health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why must these cuts happen at the holidays?

    I don't envy you, but I'm sure you'll handle the situation with tact and sensitivity. Please take care of yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annette.........I do so understand, having been in those shoes myself. Your kind words to me were appreciated, my words to you are, do not punish yourself, for something out of your control. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best to you.....I would hate having to be in your shoes......so I hope you have all the wisdom you need for this:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been loosing teachers every year (including tenured positions) and my program has been cut and reinstated. Most of us live with knots in our stomachs as soon as the word "budget" comes up.

    I hope the week does not linger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stomach is in a knot because you care. So sorry you and your workplace have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure the people you work with will not blame you for this. I always wondered where you worked. Are you in healthcare or the business part of it? I was worrying about all the postal workers today. So many people are effected. Sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you as you go through the transitions at work - never easy :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!