Saturday, December 10, 2011

Looking for Vampires

The days are much shorter up here in the northwest corner of the US than at home in Southern California.  We are used to getting up with the sun, at about 6:30.  This morning, the sun didn't come up until close to 8:00.  I'm not sure when the sun did come up because the day was overcast and cold from the get-go.  We never did see the sun.

Brett crawled out of bed at 7:30 and went outside to take some pictures.  It was in the neighborhood of 30F and I wasn't about to leave the warmth of our comfy B&B bed for frigid temperatures.  No animals to feed; no reason to get up.  I could see Brett wandering around outside and was able to track his whereabouts by the flash of the camera -- yes it was that dark and dreary.
Looking north, across Puget Sound, towards Vancouver Island.

The main house of the B & B: great room, dining room, and innkeeper residence.

Our little cabin -- our room is the two windows far left.
One of the weirdest things about our room is the sense I got when looking out the picture window for the first time of it being familiar.  It took me a few hours to place the memory.  I have had a recurring dream over most of my adult life about staying in a little room by the sea.  The dream only pops up every two or three years and it usually involves me going to a conference, by myself, and being given a room far from the resort complex, nestled by the water.  It is a dream that always brings a peaceful feeling to me and I have often requested that room in other dreams (to no avail).  ...and here is the exact same view.  Not a resort or a conference, but a stressful work related time in my life.  Isn't that uncanny?

After breakfast, we drove up into the Olympic National Forest.  It was cold all day -- the high was 39 and during most of the drive the temperatures hovered around freezing.  The road was deserted, wet and frosty.

We went as far as Crescent Lake, took some pictures and then headed back toward Port Angeles.  The highway going by Crescent Lake also goes to Forks.  We didn't see any vampires or werewolves but it was easy to imagine them in the fog and dense woods.



We spent the remainder of the afternoon relaxing in our room, with the fireplace lit and a good book (or reading blogs in my case).  In answer to many of the comments I received: yes, that tub is as wonderful as it looks.



5 comments:

  1. sounds like you have no choice but to sleep and relax! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect retreat after your stressful week. Great timing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos! That last one is enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to tell you that the header on your blog gets me grinning from ear to ear every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!