Sunday, March 23, 2014

We're All Doing Better

My mom's memorial celebration went very well.  I brought a couple hams and a sliced turkey breast, my brother brought champagne (my mom's favorite kind), and my sister brought plates, coffee and cookies.  Saturday morning we made a CostCo run and picked up enough food to feed an army.  We pulled out all my mom's pretty platters and arranged a beautiful buffet.  At 3:00 the house was crammed full of friends and family.  My father said a few words and talked a bit about my mom's cousin John who couldn't come in person but was with us in spirit - and who had sent a wonderful tribute FedEx.  My brother-in-law spoke next, about how my mom accepted him for who he was from the time he first started dating my sister -- more than 30 years ago.  I was up next.  I made it through, talking about my relationship with my mom as a child, teenager and adult.  I was a bit, er, challenging as a child and teenager.  But, through it all she was a tremendous positive influence in my life and we became very close friends.  My little brother spoke last -- reading a letter he wrote her after her death.  It was a wonderfully warm and intimate celebration, in the home she loved.  My dad's sister Elsie and my cousin Nancy made the drive and stayed late into the evening, talking and reminiscing while the kids all congregated up on the rooftop patio with the remains of the bottles of wine that had been opened in the course of the afternoon.  The evening was loud and boisterous and filled with laughter.  My mom would have loved it.

Saturday morning, Sandy sent me a text.  Remember how Winston was being uber naughty?  Well, when she rode him Friday he was well behaved and she was very pleased with his work.  She thought I would be happy to have some good news on a difficult day.  She was right.

This afternoon, we drove back home.  We pulled in the driveway and a very welcome site met my eyes.  Jackson was standing square on all four feet.

He couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.

I checked his foot and there was a big hole in bottom of the heel, still oozing a bit.  I gave him a quick grooming with the shedding blade -- he is dropping hair like crazy; losing his heavy winter coat and getting ready for summer.

I did a walk around the garden and snapped a few pictures for Lori.  She is still getting snow and needs flowers to keep her spirits up.

We ended the day on the front porch with a glass of wine and the dogs at our feet. No more stress about memorial speeches for me and no more abscess for Jackson; a big ham bone for each of the dogs for dinner and our own bed to sleep in tonight.  Its good to be home.


  1. Hugs I knew you could do it. Hugs again. B

  2. I've been thinking about you all weekend. The service for your Mom sounded very warm and I like the part about all the laughter. A real celebration of her life. You were a challenge as a child? Ha ha! Jackson was so cooperative providing you with even more relief...and Winston! You are being given some very uplifting signs. Spring has sprung at Oak Creek. Thanks for posting flowers...we have another dusting of snow....maybe it will be gone by October. Hey Brett! Love the chicken hotel....when do they arrive?

  3. Sounds like a wonderful memorial. I don't think I could do a speach like that without breaking down. You did good. I would have loved to see a photo of you and your siblings together. Your header photo looks so peaceful.

  4. I'm glad that the day went so well.

  5. I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't know as I've been away from blogging. Celebrating your mom's life at the home she loved sounds wonderful. Sending hugs!


Thanks so much for commenting! I love the conversation.