Saturday, March 29, 2014

Almost Ready for Chickens

Brett finished painting the hen house before the rain started.  I love the cheerful red color.

He and Richard built a nice sturdy gate into the chicken run.

I have ordered baby chicks.  They will arrive on April 14.  I can't wait.

There will be 16 chicks.  I wanted a mixed flock of interesting breeds.  I chose breeds based on cold hardiness, docile dispositions, and funky feathers.  I'm not concerned about whether they are good layers -- we don't need a ton of eggs for two people.  There were a few breeds I wanted but couldn't get -- it seems my favorites are popular with a lot of people.

Our flock will be a mix of Blue Andalusians, Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks, Polish, Lakenvelders, Brahmas and Cochins.  I wanted, but couldn't get, Buff Orpingtons and Marans.
File:Buff Laced Polish Chicken.jpg
Buff Laced Polish: Wikipedia
I'm so ready.

5 comments:

  1. I like the fancy breeds too .We actually raise silkies and Frizzles to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great set up for them and you. Nice work (again) Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chicken is so pretty. Good luck with your new little flock. I added two little light brown ducklings to my feathered pets yesterday. Your chicken coop and yard is amazing. They will love their home. I am hoping for a new duck house to put in the garden in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the super cute goat house Brett built a while back. I love his work! It will be fun to watch your birds grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice chicken coop and a window even! I like the color too. It kind of reminds me of a Caboose. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!