Saturday, November 16, 2019

Trout for Dinner

Trout is my favorite fish.  Brett loves King Salmon best and I have to admit that it is also very good.  But there is something about trout.  It is the taste, rich without being fishy, but also the many happy memories I have of camping as a child.  My brother loved to catch fish (but not to eat them) and my mother would fry up whatever he caught on the camp stove.

Because I love the flavor of trout so much, I don’t overwhelm it with seasonings.  A simple sprinkle of salt and pepper is all that is required.

I like to saute it in a cast iron pan that has been pre-heated in the oven so when I lay in the fish, there is an instant sizzle.  You can’t beat cast iron for searing meat and fish.  And as long as your pan is well seasoned, your meat/fish won’t stick.

For our side, I cut up a delicata squash.  I love these winter squash.  You don’t have to peel them so prep is super easy.  I cut off the ends, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and then slice each half into 1/4” half moons.  I toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and a drizzle of maple syrup.   I roast them for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees until they are soft with caramelized edges.

Add a crusty baguette and a glass of chardonnay, and dinner was served.

...and maybe a slice of that pie I made yesterday for dessert.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you again! And I'm glad to hear that life is going well and you're still enjoying good food. :) Oh yes, pan fried trout is one of life's simple pleasures...and that squash looks good too. I have similar childhood memories about eating fresh-caught trout fried by my mom in her cast iron pan, sitting around the campfire eating fish with our fingers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!