Saturday, November 23, 2019

Time with Tex

Over the past two years, while I was working working working and hardly ever home (it seemed), Tex was hanging in the pasture with Flash.  In the summer, I’d put on his fly mask before leaving for work and take it off in the evening.  Sometimes I’d hang out in the pasture with him and share an apple.  But mostly, he just hung out.  I think that for Tex, having all that down-time was a good thing.

That stressed out, worried, please-don’t-hit-me horse?  I haven’t seen him in a long, long time.  In its place is a relaxed, friendly — and a tad mischievous, handsome red dun.

Friday was clear, sunny and cool; perfect weather for being outside.  I gave Tex a good grooming and got all the tangles out of his luxurious mane.  Brett and Flash joined us; Brett wanted to ride Flash around a bit.  I told him to go ahead but that I wasn’t sure I would ride.  Sometimes Tex doesn’t like to be saddled, or doesn’t want to line up at the mounting block so I figured I’d be spending all my time working on that stuff; taking my time; making it a no stress, no expectations venture.  After all, its been months since I’ve been on his back.

He took a few steps back when he saw me with the saddle pad.  But he stood still as I settled it on his back and didn’t move a muscle when I swung up the saddle and set it gently in place.  My, my, that was a pleasant surprise.

Brett mounted first and as I walked up to the mounting block, Tex lined himself up.  Honestly, I wasn’t even to the top step and he was already there, waiting for me.  Once on, we walked around the arena a bit.  Sage thought this riding stuff was very exciting.  She ran behind us, and around, crouching and leaping and running and barking.  Flash didn’t look up and Tex didn’t mind either.  So, Tex and I pretended Sage was a wee little heifer and we tried to herd her around.  Sage didn’t like the game much, but we did.

Back at the tie rail, after a short walk around the ranch, Tex was not ready for me to dismount.  Every time I asked for halt and shifted my weight to get off, he’d move off.  He cracks me up.  Once I was off and had removed his tack, we took Tex and Flash with us out the front gate to get the mail and to let them graze where the grass is lush and green.

Lucy watched us over the fence.  She gave us a hard stare before turning on her heel and galloping away, striking at the air as she went.

Lucy is really fun to ride.  But, Tex... well, he’s stolen my heart in the same way that Jackson did.


4 comments:

  1. I agree that the down time let Tex settle. It does a lot for horses- more than we appreciate. Time to give Lucy some love so she doesn’t feel abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing the difference well-timed time off can make <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you and Tex have really bonded. Enjoy your retirement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!