Monday, November 4, 2019

Giddy in the Garden

Today was the first workday where I didn’t go into the office.  I reveled in the freedom this morning, happier than I can remember being in a long, long time.  Normally, I’m up early and do a quick ten minute yoga practice, checking the clock every two minutes.  Then I would quick-change into my work clothes, grab a piece of toast, and race out the door.  The yoga has been more about keeping my back pain at bay than about serenity and balance.  ...if the pose didn’t help my back, I skipped it.

This morning, I was up early but because that’s when I woke up; not because of an alarm.  I started the wood stove and then did a yoga practice (from an app) — and did the whole practice without checking the clock.  It was wonderful.  I took my time cleaning the mares’ pasture and then threw a ball for the puppy, before checking on my greenhouse and heading into the house where I lingered over my espresso.  Bliss.

I have seeds started in the greenhouse: lettuce, chard and arugula.


And my tomato plants are confused.  Now that summer is over and the nights are cold, into the 30s with frost, they have decided to set tomatoes.  All summer they did nothing.

I picked a couple for lunch.  I toasted some sourdough, added the sliced tomatoes and a piece of Swiss cheese, added a sprinkle of salt, pepper,  oregano and a wee bit of mayo.  Heaven.

3 comments:

  1. AHHH you are making me jealous! It sounds like a perfect way to spend your first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this same feeling last January, when we closed our practice and my husband started working from home. I, too, started yoga, but for serenity, balance, mobility..all of the above and more. I LOVE it! I remember those first few months, just as you describe. Heavenly. They still are, but sometimes I fill the days up too much and start to lose that serenity. Shame on me! Enjoy every minute of it and keep that appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've got retirement covered and are on your way to enjoying life everyday! Congratulations on your retirement and the start of peaceful days of doing whatever you feel like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!