Thursday, November 14, 2019

Hay Day

During the last months before I retired, when Brett and I talked about my retirement, he always said something along the lines of, “and you can go with me to get hay.”  Every time.  Honestly, it wasn’t the part that I was most looking forward to, but we all have different ideas about things.

Today, we drove to a hay farm near Lodi and picked up 41 bales.  Each bale is 100 pounds and lasts about a day.  We buy grass hay, and are currently using Meadow Mix which is nutritious and popular with the horses.

Brett is hoping that this load of hay will take us through December.  Orlando stacked the hay in the trailer and then Brett and I tied it down.  Before heading home, we stopped and picked up some sausage at a butchery in Lockeford.  On the weekend, there is a line around the corner but today it was relatively quiet.

Back home, Brett backed the trailer into the barn and we unloaded the hay.

Passage was the first to inspect the hay.  She deemed it worthy, jumped down, and disappeared back into the feed room.

I pulled the bales down and pushed them off the back of the trailer.  From there, Brett stacked them on pallets.

We took a break and Brett lifted Sage into the trailer to sit with me.

She wasn’t too sure she liked it, and then she didn’t want to leave.  Now I understand why Brett was so excited to have me around on hay day.  It’s a heck of a lotta work.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for agreeing to try this and for all the help unloading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unloading hay is HARD WORK! We are very, very lucky that our supplier delivers and stacks it for a fee. Best money spent ever1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place will deliver if you order a minimum of 60 bales. We were looking at the barn yesterday and could expand the hay storage to accommodate that much. But, they don’t stack it and that is the killer part. The hay from this place is amazing so we don’t want to switch back to the local feed store — who would deliver and stack — but half the time the hay was crap.

      Delete
  3. Due to hurricane damage from Dorian and Matthew, I only have one usable hay shed, which means twice as many trips to pick it up (7 hrs). Loading hay is a killer workout - could do without the inevitable shirt + bra-full that happens when stacking the highest bales. And it's definitely Miller-time when the job is done. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it! There is hay EVERYWHERE when we finished. And, the first thing I thought when we finished was, “I need a beer.” I can’t even imagine how much fun this is going to be in the summer.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!