Sunday, May 3, 2015

Spring in the Garden

We've had clear blue skies, warm sunshine and bird song this weekend.  The garden is bursting; the peach, nectarine, plum, pear and grapes are setting fruit.  Kersey likes picking peaches off the lower limbs -- Look mom! Balls growing on trees! My rose hedge is blinding, bursting with pink blooms.  My memorial garden is a riot of Shasta daisies, orange-red poppies, white carnations and blue straw flowers.

The herb bed is overflowing with native poppies.

Yesterday afternoon Brett spent time on his mower while I planted heirloom tomatoes in the raised vegetable bed.

I wasn't going to plant a vegetable garden this year, due to the drought, but a cheerful young student was selling heirloom seedlings at the farmers market and I couldn't resist.  We walked past her table, slowly, and then continued on -- with me dragging my feet, trying to tell myself that I didn't need those seedlings.  Brett looked at me, "Go back and get the tomato plants."  So I did.  Four plants, all different varieties, with names like Bumblebee Pink, Indigo Apple and Blue Berry.

I've been spending time in the garden every morning and evening; just walking around, pulling stray weeds, thinning the fruit, watching it grow and bloom.  The garden is my peaceful place to start and end the day; it takes the stress of my work day and sends it away, out of the garden, and out of my mind.

4 comments:

  1. glad the memorial garden is doing well. kersey plucking fruit is too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to have a veggie garden. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a drought up here, too, but yours is much worse. You need your veggies though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Annette, your flowers are BEAUTIFUL! I spent a few hours on the John Deere today, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!