1. We got a bit of rain yesterday. Brett and I were awakened before dawn by crashing thunder and lightning flashing across the bedroom. It was followed by rain -- and some snow at higher elevations. Brett was stuck inside all day so when I got home from work I found the wood stove merrily creaking as it cranked out heat, and laundry washed and folded -- and put away.
2. I made another Blue Apron dinner for dinner last night. The theme this week has been Mexican, because of Cinco de Mayo. We had fish tacos earlier in the week and a wonderful pozole soup last night. Brett claims he doesn't like onions but he only complains about them when he can see them. I should have diced the onions instead of slicing. I thought the soup was wonderfully rich with flavor and texture (garnished with roasted pepitas, matchstick red radishes, avocado and cilantro). Brett had a messy pile of onions pushed to one side of his bowl as he used a dinner roll to soak up the broth.
3. Now that I've been cooking with Blue Apron for a few weeks, they've given me the opportunity to "invite" three friends to try a week of meals free. To get the free meals, you need to enroll but you can cancel at any time easily, with no hassle. It's also easy to skip weeks if you want a break or are going on vacation. If you are interested in trying it, send me your email and I'll put you on the invitation list.
4. Brett started working on a compost bin today. First, he had to replace his wheelbarrow wheel which was harder than expected. He drove to three shops before finding a tire that fit. He got his trench dug for the first row, his string pulled and his supplies lined up.
5. When I got home from work we did the evening chores and then settled in the garden with a glass of wine. I wandered around checking all the plants while Brett sat in a chair under the oak tree, rubbing Kersey's belly. For dinner, I made a big salad with local spring greens, strawberries, mango, beets, goat cheese and toasted pecans. I seared a piece of Ahi and set the slices on top. The dressing was a dab of good French Dijon, lemon juice, honey, sea salt and lemon infused olive oil from a local store. It was a great way to start the weekend.