Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fat Dog

Kersey had her annual check up at the vet yesterday.  She weighed in five pounds heavier than last year.

She doesn't get table scraps; she doesn't get cookies; we have even cut back on her food.

The vet said she needs to lose weight.  We agree.  She asked how much we feed her and said we can't really cut back anymore.  She recommended a thyroid test which came back perfectly normal.  Figures.

The vet recommended we start feeding her a dog food called Fat Dog.  Seriously.  She said many lite dog foods don't have enough nutrition but she's seen good results with this one.

Brett and I were talking about it yesterday over our evening glass of wine on the porch.  Kersey was, as usual, sleeping on the porch.  We realized that since Sedona died, she just lays around.  Sedona was always in motion and Kersey followed along.  Now she lazes on the porch or in the house.

I'm going to take her on walks in the morning on the days I don't have time to ride.  We are going to see if we can interest her in fetch -- she hasn't really shown much interest up until now.  Some retriever she is!  And today, we picked up a bag of that dog food for her.

6 comments:

  1. Same thing happened when we lost Sweetpea. My JRT would become an absolute butter-ball if I didn't walk her morning and night. Doesn't hurt me to be walking either ;D

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try a puppy for her. My guess is she is missing canine companionship and a younger dog to play with might just fit the bill.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We notice that our Lilly here (at 8) and now the only dog, gets about 1/4 of the exercise she used to get at our old place. I have cut her dog food down considerably... but I may look for that food, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out that dog food for my fat dog. It is SO hard not to give table scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she needs a puppy!! That will either keep her young and active...or kill her. :) I personally don't worry too much about our dogs being overweight. They - meaning the vets and others - always tell us our dogs are too fat. They've always been healthy, happy and have lived long (fat) lives, so I don't worry much about it. There's a difference between being a little overweight and obesity. I'm fat too, but I still like to eat good food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!