Monday, March 30, 2020

Turning 60 in Isolation

Today is my 60th birthday.  I’m looking forward to my 60s.  Is that weird?  I’m retired, I’m healthy, I have a ton of hobbies and interests and the time to enjoy them.  Sure, I have some aches and pains and Brett says I look pretty funny when I run (its true), but in general I’m happy and healthy.

I remember a couple things my mom said to me about getting older.  She said that she really enjoyed her life, even with its limitations, and said it was a very happy time.  At the time, I think I looked at her like she was nuts, but now I understand.  She also said that it was shock when she would pass a mirror in a store or someplace and see herself, unexpectedly.  She said she’d think, “Who is that old lady?” And then, with a shock, realize it was herself.  I’m starting to experience that now.  I get it.  I saw an ad for a swim suit the other day and thought, oh, that would look cute on me.  And then paused and added, back when I was much younger.  I forgot for a moment that I wasn’t 19 anymore and constantly on the hunt for a swim suit that would flatter my skinny, short waisted, flat-chested body.  I am no longer skinny, that’s for sure.  Short waisted, yes.  And saggy, instead of flat-chested.  It’s a 60 year old body, well used.

It really bothered Brett that we couldn’t have a party for my birthday.  We had a big party with family and close friends when he turned 60 and I guess he’s been thinking we would do the same for me.  We just had a big party for my retirement, a few months ago, so I’m good.  I am not a party girl.  At all.

Today the sky was grey and low, and it was cold outside.  However, the couch by the hearth was very inviting.  So I spent time there reading all my birthday wishes on Facebook and relaxing.

I spent most of the day in the kitchen.  When I was younger, it would have bothered me that I made my own birthday dinner.  Not anymore.  The way I see it, I can make/bake whatever I want and not worry if everyone doesn’t love it.  In this case, it was just me and Brett — and he’s happy with most everything I cook.  Dinner was shared with my kids, via video chat, which worked out great.

Brett barbecued a nice rack of lamb and some plump asparagus for the main course.  This morning I baked focaccia that I had started yesterday.  It was amazing. We ate a ton of it, dipped in good olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I also made a cardamom pistachio carrot cake.  I didn’t have pistachios on hand so I substituted walnuts. The recipe was a bit daunting, but since I had the whole afternoon in front of me... I figured, why not give it a shot?

I had fun and it worked!  I was so happy.

All-in-all, it was a very good birthday.

9 comments:

  1. I would be happy with whatever you cooked too, lol. I am glad that you had a fun birthday. Like you I enjoy my life and growing older is part of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I agree with your mom, life can be wonderful as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! And the second to last pic made me laugh, with all your cake ingredients laid out... including the compost?!?! Tee hee! Carrot cake is my favorite, would you mind sharing the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Birthday 🍰 I do believe your mom is right...they usually are❤️ I just love reading your blog and your outlook on daily life. I’m glad to see your birthday spent over another fantastic meal! Cheers to another beautiful year in the books🥂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy brithday! Sounds wonderful: a day to do exactly what you want and have a delicious dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many happy returns!!! And I bookmarked that same recipe for later in the week lolol. The carrot juice glaze sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!