Friday, March 20, 2020

Our New Reality

We are adjusting to our new reality.  Just a week ago I was in my Master Gardener class, sitting a good distance from my neighbor, but in a room with 25 or more people.  Afterwards, I sat with a couple classmates and discussed our group project.  That seems like another lifetime.  So far, the impact this week has been:

1.  No more in-person classes.  Instead of lectures and hands-on applications, I’m watching videos and reading, reading, reading.  It’s okay, but I miss the classroom interaction and I really miss the hands-on stuff.

2.  My project has been cancelled.  ...technically “on hold” but if we aren’t meeting, its a bit hard to present.  I have already done a significant amount of research on my piece but that’s okay, the research was interesting.

3.  The vet was supposed to come out today and vaccinate the horses and donkeys.  That was cancelled.  As of last night, Californians are only going out for essentials: food, doctors, pharmacy.

4.  Brett called Costco to see if they would mail Kersey’s prescription which is due to be refilled in less than a week.  They said no, so we will have to go to Costco in the next week or so.  I’m not happy about that.

5.  A pipe broke in the front pasture around noontime.  Brett saw a gusher when he went out to feed.  Fortunately, he had the knowledge and supplies handy to fix the pipe.  I’m not sure if plumbers are even working right now.

6.  I figured out how to borrow books from the library and have them delivered to my Kindle (for Brett) and to my iPad (for me).  We went into a bit of a panic when the library closed.

7. Dinner was good, though.  We had asparagus I picked up at the market yesterday and lamb from the freezer.  As the weeks go on, it will be more frozen veggies and less fresh.

8.  Our little town made the news in Sacramento.  It was quite embarrassing.  Placerville was profiled for failing to follow the governor’s mandate to close bars and restaurants to in-house dining.  Take-out is allowed and many restaurants are offering curbside pick up which is great.  But some were ignoring the directive and there were enough residents who think (a) this is fake news or (b) they are safe because no cases have been reported in our county yet or (c) don’t want the god-da*n government telling them what to do — to fill those restaurants and bars.  Needless to say, we were quite disgusted with said behavior.  There has now been a case reported in our County so I’m hoping categories (a) and (b) are now with the program.  I don’t think the category (c) people will ever get there.  ...which is why Brett and I are not going out at all.

9.  The coolest thing is all the connections that have been happening.  I’ve been getting emails and messages from people all over the place; people who are important to me but who I rarely hear from. Staying connected is so important.

1 comment:

  1. It is surreal for sure. Ed says that his tendency to stock up on things is finally paying off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!