Thursday, March 26, 2020

That Quarantined Life

Life is definitely different now.  We’ve been under “stay-at-home” restrictions for about a week. Things seem to be settling down and people are getting with the program.  I no longer see posts about local people or business blowing off the restrictions.  That’s good.  Our county has just had 3 cases so far, and no fatalities.  There are benefits to living in the sticks.

Some of the grocery stores have put senior hours in place, typically around 8am, the hour before the market would normally open.  Seniors are funny people.  You would think that the stores would be nice and quiet early in the morning.  That is what we thought.  But, instead seniors start lining up (with a cart between each) hours before the store opens.  All seniors have insomnia, right?  I know we are awake well before daybreak.  So, that senior hour at the markets is mobbed.  ...we are choosing to go later in the day if we go out at all.  We did make it a week without having to go back to the market.  I think that’s pretty good, given that I typically shop every few days.

When the weather is nice, I have more than enough projects to keep me busy outside.  There is always the garden, of course.  The greenhouse is full of seedlings, there are still a number of fruit trees to clear, compost and mulch, and I’m itching to start hot composting.  We’ve been doing cold composting for years — basically, pile the stuff, turn it once in a blue moon, and eventually get compost.  The hot method is fast — and labor intensive.  Brett and I are arguing debating the urgency of this project.  He’s ready to head down the mountain to the lumber yard and buy supplies.  My position is that this is a non-essential project and can wait.  In the meantime, I could rig together something.  Brett is anti-rig-together.  This is what one of my friends from class put together.  I think it would work fine.

This is what he plans to build:

Another non-essential service is our cleaning lady.  We’ve been using her since we moved up here and she does a good job.  When I was working, I always had a cleaning service because I (1) didn’t have much free time, (2) hated cleaning, and (3) wanted a clean apartment/house/abode.  When the kids were small, it was a real sanity-saver.  I’ve felt kind of strange having her come since I retired.  I mean, I do have time now.  But, I didn’t want to adversely impact her business.  When the shelter-in-place mandate came down, we put her services on hold.  Brett agreed to do all the floors (he has a thing about clean floors so he was happy to take it on).  So now, on rainy days, I either bake or clean. I don’t think our house has ever been so clean.  And, I got a great deal of satisfaction from cleaning, which surprised me.  Don’t tell: I even watched YouTube hacks on cleaning.  Maybe that comes with age — I hated cleaning as a kid, the way kids always hate chores.  I had a neighborhood friend who had a toy vacuum and loved to play “clean the house.”  I thought that was weird.  So far, I don’t mind it at all which I’m sure has something to do with having a lot of free time.

What are you doing to keep busy?

3 comments:

  1. I am still working and am busier than ever. I’m hoping that next week it will calm down as people get used to the new normal. Ed is also anti-rig-together. You could tell Brett that it’s a pilot to make sure you’re doing it right and it’s in the right spot. Ed picked up lumber yesterday but here you order it and they call when it’s ready. He paid over the phone and they put it in the truck. No contact required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you must have heard our conversation this morning. I rigged up a temporary bin and started filling it yesterday with manure and leaves, as I clean the pasture that has a lot of leaves. Manure, even mixed with leaves, is heavy. Once I get enough in the bin, I’ll need to turn it every few days and I think that is going to be a lot of work. I told Brett I may only make two batches of hot compost each year — one in the spring and one in the fall. Our cold composted manure works fine for fertilizing the trees so I don’t need a ton of the hot stuff. So, I said, no reason to build a fancy bin when I can put this one up and down when I want to make a batch. I think he was secretly relieved. Your lumber yard has a good system going. It was that same set up when Brett picked up hay the other day.

      Delete
  2. I was trail riding every day last week, but our governor increased our restrictions and closed the state parks. We are also under a shelter at home order. I believe we have 115 cases and 2 deaths in my county of 500,000 people. Most people have recovered, but when it hits a nursing home--like it did in Seattle--it becomes a death trap and the numbers shoot up. I think we will be under this order for at least another month. It hasn't really changed my life, but it does make me feel like I'm in a cage. I we get some good weather, there will be plenty to do here around the house, and I can ride out, too. I'll get used to the new "normal"--whatever that is. Saying extra prayers for California. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!