Saturday, February 29, 2020

Meet Luek

A number of months ago Brett and I decided that we weren't going to replace or add any more animals to the ranch. Except dogs; because you have to have dogs.

And then about a month ago we revised the plan.  We decided that as our herd dwindles, we would replace our horses with retirees.  It might become our "thing" to be a ranch for retired horses.  Neither of us have been riding in the past six months or more, between me and my back issues and our lack of rideable horses, and we were okay with that change.  The current herd stands at four:

  • Flash: 24 years old this year; extremely arthritic; fully retired.
  • Pistol: 24 years old this year; recently markedly slowing down and acting her age; we could put a light rider on her for walk arounds the ranch but that's it.
  • Lucy: 17 years old this year and retired due to her joint issues and my back issues.  She requires very expensive and extensive joint injections to be comfortable in work and my back can't handle her sideways jumps when she spots a troll.
  • Tex: 16 years old this year and in therapy.  He'll never be more than a walk-trot horse and will never be a good mount for anyone except me because it takes him so long to trust.  He is making great progress with me, but he's perfectly happy being a pasture pet 90% of the time.
And then I got a call from my trainer, offering me a PSG level schoolmaster.  He was being used by one of her students but he's not able to handle full-on, heavy competition training.  He is also not forward enough to get her the scores she needs. He's older but sound for light work.  Was I interested?

Initially I said no.  Then I said “probably not” but I'd talk to Brett.  She said he has super smooth gaits and is kind of lazy, no trolls in his imagination.  He's too much of a slug to help her student get her medals, but might work well for me and can also go on trails.  Brett said, "Go down and check him out."  I grabbed my back brace and headed to Sandy's barn.  He is definitely heavier in the hand and more work to keep going than the horses I have always liked best.  But he was solid and I felt safe and my back didn’t hurt at all.  And he’s beautiful.  And with my back issues, I don’t need to be riding Ferrari horses anymore.

Luek is an Azteca which is a cross between PRE or Lusitano and Quarter Horse.  They are the national breed of Mexico, where they were developed in the 1970s.  They are friendly, docile, level-headed, athletic, and have very smooth gaits.

Luek is all those things.  So we brought him home today.  He's settling in well.

We have him in a paddock next to Tex and Flash, who watched his arrival with great interest.

Eventually, he will be in their pasture with them.  They were all very excited to meet each other.

Within five minutes, Tex and Luek were grooming each other across the fence.  I think he’s going to work out great as the next Oak Creek Ranch retiree.


8 comments:

  1. I LOVE Aztecas. They are awesome horses. I sometimes consider breeding Carmen to a QH stallion to get one. I love him already. Congratulations. So frigging happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. I am super happy and looking forward to riding this guy. I think an Azteca from Carmen would be awesome — her fire and movement matched with a QH = gold.

      Delete
  2. How great that you can take care of retired horses. He's beautiful and reminds me of the horse I used to ride in Mexico. Probably was the same breed, but I don't remember now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good looking guy! And it could be fun to ride and just have fun for a while! Even just hacking out once a week is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That might be my all time favorite breed combination. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wow!! I’m happy you’re back in the saddle and pain free! He’s gorgeous! I love riding my old horses. I can relax and enjoy the relationship. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!