Thursday, February 6, 2020

Guest Ranch Travelogue: Rancho de Los Caballeros

Brett and I stayed at Los Caballeros guest ranch, in Wickenburg, Arizona, for four days.  Even though I’m not really a desert person, preferring the mountains and the coast, I have to say that the Sonora desert is gorgeous.

I was hoping for sunny, warm weather since it is mid-winter and cold at home.  When we left there was snow and rain in the forecast.  It was better at the ranch, for sure, even though they were having an unseasonable cold snap.  I bundled up in a shirt, fleece vest and heavy jacket and was fine on the morning ride.  My fingers were a bit numb at the end, but otherwise it was not a problem.  There was a fire going in the lodge all day and our room was cozy.

Of course, we came for the horses but there is also a world-class golf course, tennis, spa and various other activities.  We settled into a routine of riding in the morning and relaxing in the lodge with a book in the afternoons.  We found a sunny nook that looked out over the resort, with the desert stretching beyond, and made ourselves comfortable.

WiFi was non-existent in the room so we also used the time in the lodge to catch up on email.

One day, Brett’s brother and his wife drove up from the Phoenix area and we had lunch and spent the afternoon together.  Another afternoon, we drove into the town of Wickenburg and explored the local museum and shops.  The museum was very interesting and well worth visiting.
There is also a jeweler who makes beautiful silver engraved, cowgirl jewelery.
Our morning rides were about two hours along and we were just about the only brave (stupid?) guests who rode in the icy cold.  The first day we rode with two other brave souls on the weekly nature ride.  Dick, the wrangler and ranch naturalist, led the ride.  Dick knew the biology and behavior, as well as the names, of all the plants, animals and birds.  I recognized quail and black throated sparrows but there were also  brown-crested flycatchers and a variety of phoebe that was lighter in color than the black ones we have at home.   He pointed out the different varieties of cacti and other plants, and explained how they survive and multiply.  I was fascinated by all of it.

The other two mornings, we rode out with a wrangler and no other guests.  They were all staying inside where there was hot coffee.  We went far out into the desert, past barrel cactus, prickly pear, cholla, ocotillo, yucca, Palo verde, mesquite and, of course, many saguaro cacti — the ones that stand with their arms sticking out and are in all the cartoons of the desert.

I was a bit apprehensive about riding.  Many of you know that I really don’t ride much anymore due to issues with my back.  I told Brett that I would try an easy walk ride one day but that would most likely be it for me.  However, I brought a back brace which had been recommended to me by a medical professional who also rides.  It was magic.  I rode all three days.

Our horses were great too.  I was on a strong blue grey roan who is in his third season on the ranch.  Despite only being seven, he was level-headed and a very easy ride.  His canter was huge but that was fine with me, I’m used to Lucy’s big stride.

Brett rode a big red roan named Rim Rock.  He’s been on the ranch for a number of years and was also very solid.

All the horses were well-fed, well-shod and looked happy.  The herd numbers around 80.  When we got back from our rides, around noon, it was warming up (but still not anywhere close to warm) and about a third of the herd was stretched out in the pasture taking a siesta.
I tried to take a photo of the herd but this sweet guy kept photo-bombing my pictures.

I definitely recommend this ranch — we’ll be back.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a great spot! Glad you felt comfortable riding. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful. It would be fun to meet up there in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be great if we could coordinate our time in Arizona.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how cool!! Wickenberg is on my list. I’ve looked at second home possibilities there—for that day when we want to escape south with the horses during the winter. We had a patient who moved there half the year and sang its praises to us. He said it’s very horse friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend checking it out. There are horses everywhere — and more horse trailers going up and down the road than cars. ...hardly any cars; pick ups rule the town. It is definitely the most horsey place we’ve ever been.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!