Saturday, January 4, 2020

Restore

For the past two weeks, I’ve been thinking about the word I want to focus on for the coming year.  The word that best captures what I want to accomplish this year is “restore.”

When I retired in November, I was exhausted.  I am regaining my energy, my good-humor, and who I am at my core.  But, it’s going to take a year of rest to get all the way there.

The best analogy I can make is to a race horse who has finished its racing career and is going to be retrained as a pleasure or competitive horse in another discipline.  The first thing that is done with the horse is putting them out in a big green pasture for six months (or more) and letting them just “be a horse.”  I have seen the magic of this with both Tex and Lucy.  Neither are race horses but both came here tightly wound.  Lucy came from a rigorous training life in show barns and Tex from competitive rodeo where he suffered some trauma.

The past six years have been a blur.  For the first four years after we moved here, I worked for a large, multi-State company.  I had come from a small, community system where I had strong connections and market knowledge.  It was a very steep learning curve for me, learning a new market and a new company, but I liked my co-workers and I liked learning.  Ultimately, though, I realized that working in a corporate silo wasn’t a good fit and I left to work at a small, regional HealthPlan that provides healthcare to the poor.  It was a much better place for me.  But, the department I was hired to run was a mess.  Initially, I was full of energy and ideas — I could see the problems and I knew how to fix them.  I was focused on making my team rock stars and our department a well-oiled machine.  But, there were far more problems than I realized.  For everything I fixed, five more broken systems would be revealed.  It was exhausting.  I worked long hours and had a very long commute (two hours each way).  Eventually, I just couldn’t do it anymore.  One day, as I walked past my assistant’s desk, she said, “Are you okay?”
“Why?” I asked
“Because I’ve never seen you look so defeated.”

I thought, She’s right.  That is exactly how I feel.  Defeated. 

So, I retired.  A bit earlier than in the original plan.  But I was tired of being tired; I couldn’t focus; I couldn’t retain information; I was forgetting things; and I was snapping at my husband.  I didn’t do anything at home except eat and sleep.  Enough of that noise.

Now, I wake with the sun and not with an alarm.  I cook and garden and read books.  I play with Sage.  I hug Lucy and hang out with Tex.  And if I don’t feel like doing anything productive, I don’t.  I’m learning how to smile and laugh again, and I’m enjoying the company of friends and family.  I loved Christmas.  Decorating and baking and shopping didn’t feel like pressure; it was thoughtfully done, with love and intent.  I reveled in the time with my kids and my dad.  I relaxed into the moments.

Restore.  That’s the goal.  Restore myself to me.  Restore my happy core and nurture it.

4 comments:

  1. All so true. That’s why I rescue death bound donkeys. And I watch them change. From defeated ................ to loving , trusting and fluffy ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great word. I love it. Enjoy your time on pasture rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me so happy, that you are able to take time to find your way back to who you are. I am also SO happy you are blogging again, as I love to hear about your life at Aspen Meadows!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!