Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Anticipation

There are a number of things that I am waiting in anticipation for today.

First off, we have a storm coming in tonight.  This morning was icy cold and clear.  The frost covered the fence rails and posts so that they sparkled white in the morning sun. The girls pasture which is blanketed in oak leaves, had a carpet of perfectly etched leaves, white edges against their brown centers.  Sage followed me around the pasture, as I scooped up frozen manure that was laying on the leaves.  She cautiously pressed her paw on the edges of frozen puddles and then ate the broken ice.
I took these photos after the frost was gone.  No way was I taking my thick gloves off to take a picture during morning chores.

Storm anticipation also means that we will be bringing the horses into the barn.  Before we do that, I’ll spread clean straw in the stalls and we’ll fill their water barrels.  I always put some sweet feed and carrots in their grain bins so there is a treat waiting when they come in.  I started doing it with Tex, because he wasn’t at all sure he liked the barn and his stall at first, and I’ve kept it up.  They so look forward to the treats.  I will also add more straw to the goat shed.  Their coats are thick and the straw is already deep, but they hate rain and snow so being able to burrow in deep inside their shed will be good.

I’m also anticipating the start of my Master Gardening course.  My first day of class is tomorrow.  In the middle of the storm.  I’m still excited.

I have finished my homework and packed my school bag.  I’m going to bake some muffins later so I can take one with me for my lunch.  The other day Brett looked over at me, where I was sitting on the couch studying.  He said, “Are you studying or coloring?”  I had my color pencils out.  I said, “I’m drawing leaves.”  He shook his head and went back to his book.

6 comments:

  1. Snow preparation sounds so peaceful and lovely when you write about it like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketchy notebook. I thought about becoming a Master Gardener, during my decades of gardening. These days my body only allows limited upkeep, so I gave up on the idea. Kudos to you for taking the time to expand and learn valuable knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about gardening is you can scale back when you need to. While I was working the crazy job I did very little gardening but everything kind of held together for me (I planted low maintenance natives). Now I’m looking forward to being more active in the garden.

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here looking out at a snowstorm right now. Not a bad one for sure, maybe enough to make the ring rideable......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the most dedicated rider I know. Even when I was in the midst of training and competing, I never contemplated riding in the snow. You have my admiration for sure!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!