Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Therapy of the Garden Variety

Last week was incredibly stressful at work.  Actually, its been incredibly stressful since November but last week I couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel.  I developed a kind of inertia, I quit caring -- and my colleagues noticed.  I'm not normally a bubbly sort but I stopped smiling, talking, or engaging more than was absolutely necessary.

Over the weekend, I did a lot of thinking.  And I spent almost all of my time in the garden.  I didn't solve anything, but I did recharge my batteries a bit and went back to work yesterday in a more positive frame of mind.

Brett finished building me another raised bed.  We bought soil which I mixed with compost.  After the bed was full, I laid out my drip lines and weighted them down with pots.  The drip line comes in a big coil and it kept wanting to twist and turn itself right out of the bed.  Brett put a sprinkler line in, from the chicken faucet over to the bed, for my drip lines.

I spread compost under the fruit trees.  I noted that the nectarine has canker.  We will have to take drastic measures when the weather is consistently warm in a month or so.  The tree was in the garden area when we moved in, very neglected, and never really recovered.  Canker attacks weak trees (peach, nectarine and cherry) and there is no cure -- other than cutting off the affected areas.  This tree has canker on the trunk, which is splitting.  We will cut it almost to the ground and see if it comes back.

I sat with the dog and the cat, when I got tired, and watched Brett work.  His batteries last twice as long as mine.

I have always found solace in the garden.  What brings you comfort and healing?

12 comments:

  1. We are made to love the garden, after all God put Adam and Eve in a garden. Our souls remember the perfect peace of that garden.
    The garden is balm to us. I think thats why so many people who live without gardens miss "something" they don't quite know what but we who garden do! God Bless you and all your critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often hear the Cat Stevens version of "Morning Has Broken" playing in my head while I am in the garden. Brett refers to the garden as my sanctuary. It truly is.

      Delete
  2. I'd have to say that gardening does bring peace of mind and healing. Just digging in the dirt and then seeing the beauty of a garden when it's finished is very satisfying.

    My horses also bring me peace. I love being in the pasture with them and interacting with them when I'm not riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being in the pasture with the horses as well. Lucy, in particular, always comes to greet me and welcomes my arms around her. There is something about breathing in that warm horse smell and feeling their neck against my cheek that brings peace.

      Delete
  3. your garden is beautiful. I can see why it recharges you. I used to love gardening but when we moved here there was so much to do that I let it go. This year I think that we can get back to it. I understand about being overwhelmed at work. I find working in healthcare can be demanding and will suck you dry if you let it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took awhile for us to get to working on the garden as well. And, I knew you would understand how healthcare (like many other professions) can be so demanding. Its getting harder and harder to bring in enough revenue to keep the lights on in the hospitals -- much less buy all the fancy equipment. Its an interesting and challenging time to be working in healthcare -- and exhausting.

      Delete
    2. Your remark about healthcare made me think of how sad it is that there are not more green areas in hospitals where staff can "hide Out". Plus I have to say my personal bugbear....if a truck driver is too tired to drive safely after 11 hours how on earth can a Nurse/Dr be expected to work 12's? No wonder there is burnout and exhaustion. Enjoy your "natural" rest therapy!

      Delete
  4. Being in the garden is so good for the soul. Like, Teresa, I work in health care and find that after a long week I shut down, too. I've trained our daughter to fill in for me so I can take more time off for myself, and it is really helping. Maybe you need a little more time off, too. BTW, if Brett can outwork you, he must have the energy of 4 men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to take more time off. The past three years, I haven't taken off more than a day here or a day there due to my work load, lack of vacation time, and the expense of our new place. This year, I've got more vacation time planned. Lucky you to have your daughter to help out!

      Delete
    2. Citrus trees also get canker, here in Florida they had to be cut down and the roots pulled out. We lost about ten trees in our yard. We had no choice, the state came in and took them away while we were at work. My kids have groves and lost many trees. Now the Greening has taken over, my son in law has pulled out and burned about 4 to 5 thousand trees so far. There is no spray or treatment for the greening either.

      Delete
    3. Ellie, I had never come across canker before this and it is really frustrating that there is nothing you can do except cut out the diseased part. I don't think the nectarine tree can be saved -- and my peach tree is infected too. Fortunately, it is just one branch so I'm crossing my fingers it will be okay. I haven't heard of greening...hope I don't ever have to deal with that! We are too cold for citrus here which is a bummer. I'd love to have a lemon or a lime tree.

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I need my weekends to fall in love with life again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!