Friday, November 19, 2010

Celebrating 10 Years Together

Yesterday was our 10 year wedding anniversary.  It amazes me that we have been married for that long and that we are still happy and healthy and in love.  But then, it still amazes me that we are married.  When you fall in love with someone at 19, lose them multiple times, marry other people and try to forget the love of your life, have kids, fail at the other marriages and THEN it all works out...  well, the reality takes a long time to sink in I guess.  I remember thinking when we got married that if we had 10 years of health and  happiness together I would be grateful forever.  We've packed a lot into the last ten years: from camping in Yellowstone to building a house; we started  with a dog and ending up with  horses, chickens and donkeys; we've been to amazing restaurants and traveled.  Of course, it isn't always easy.  Brett is a dreamer.  He dreams of living in Wyoming or Washington on a huge ranch.  His dreams are very expensive and spending money makes me nauseous.  Brett has to deal with the fact that I am not particularly demonstrative.  I live in my head.  I can be physically present but miles away mentally and not even know where I've gone if asked.

Yesterday, we spent the morning working outside.  Brett picked up a load of hay and supplies for a couple projects.  I pruned some trees.  The dogs were underfoot.  In the afternoon we went to Laguna Beach, had an amazing dinner, walked on the beach, and slept with our hotel balcony door open so we could listen to the surf and smell the ocean.   I'm doubling my money and asking for 20 more years.  At least.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me smile
    How lovely that you found your way back to each other...
    I wish you many more years of happy togetherness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...that's sweet! Hubby and I will be together 40 years next June.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!