Friday, May 29, 2020

There’s a Light Horse In There

We’ve had blistering hot feels-like-July weather all week.  I have been wanting to ride but the weather has kept us indoors, other than morning and evening chores.  This morning was slightly cooler, with clouds gathering slowly, so even though the thermometer said it was a bearable 84F, the humidity was high.  By the time I had Tex groomed (not thoroughly, even) and tacked up, sweat was running down my back and I felt a bit woozy.  We stood in the shade for a few minutes until the nausea passed and then headed for the freshly mown back pasture.  Because there are trees.  The dressage court is sand and direct sun so that was not going to work.

Besides, Tex and I like riding under the trees on the grass.

My goal was simple: get a light walk to trot transition.  That’s it.  Tex is a sensitive horse by nature but he’s a bit of a brute under saddle.  Clearly, he was never ridden with feel.  He has no concept of a half-halt and stopping him is like stopping a Mack truck.  Abs, seat, arms — and eventually a “did you say stop?”  Not that he’s running away, mind you.  This is at a walk.  It is part of the reason why I don’t work with him much at trot and canter yet.  If you ain’t got brakes, you ain’t got nothin’.  Similarly, getting him to move off or transition to trot requires a kick.  Ugh.

In ten minutes, we got a lot done.  The first transition went like this:
1. Lighten my seat: nothing
2. Light squeeze with my calves: nothing
3. Heels into his side lightly: nothing
4. Digging into his sides with my heels: off we go

Second try:
1. Lighten my seat: nothing
2. Half halt and light squeeze with my calves: ear flick
3. Heels in lightly: off we go

Third try:
1. Lighten my seat: ear flick
2. Half-halt and light squeeze: off we go
3. Lots and lots of praise from me and... suddenly we are cantering; a lovely balanced canter.  The FIRST balanced canter on this big red over-achiever.

And Brett, who was riding Luek, missed it.  So, I had to ride over and tell him all about it and then we called it a day.



1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting!