Saturday, May 2, 2020

A Brilliant Bird Visits

Oak Creek Ranch is home to many species of birds. Some are here all the time like robins that hop around in the pasture while I do the morning chores, woodpeckers, blue jays, doves and finches.  Others are here for a month or two, stopping on their way to other places.  These include Canada geese, ducks, yellow and white crowned sparrows, juncos, grosbeaks and towhees.  Then there are the rare visitors —  sometimes a sharp-shinned hawk will stalk the garden, or we hear an owl hooting at night.

Last year, I spotted a Bullock’s oriole in the cherry tree.  It must have been late June or early July, because he was hopping from branch to branch eating all my cherries.  I love cherries but I didn’t even care that he was eating all my fruit.  He was so dang gorgeous, I just wanted to watch him forever.

A few days ago, sitting on the front porch, I caught a flash of brilliant orange in the oak tree.  I watched an oriole hopped around amongst the oak branches before flying off.  I was sad to see him go.  But, this morning, while doing my breakfast dishes, I saw him on my garden fence.  I hope he sticks around for awhile.  Maybe he’s waiting for the cherries to get ripe.

I know its silly that a seeing a bird can make me so happy.  But there you have it.  Such beauty and brilliance make my heart sing.

1 comment:

  1. I love these Orioles. One comes to our property every year and fights with his image on my husband's side mirrors of his truck. But he's so pretty we don't even mind the messy mirrors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!