Monday, April 3, 2017

Queen Lucina

Lucy is always royalty.  Most of the time she is Princess Lucy; high spirited, overly ambitious, demanding of attention, and prone to dramatic outbursts.  Sunday she was a queen.

Brett and I rode mid-morning when it was warm but not hot.  Lucy was in a mellow mood.  We rode up in the dressage court and she wasn't in the least bit worried about trolls.  We worked deep in the corners, even the troll corner.

She carried herself beautifully.  Her transitions were prompt and forward.  We didn't do any canter work.  We have more work to do in the Pessoa before we canter; although I could feel that Lucy would have been willing to go there today.

She still bucks a bit in canter with the Pessoa; but its more about irritation with the equipment (and working at dinner time) than about discomfort.  I have noticed that she immediately goes to a long, relaxed frame now, when I ride.  The Pessoa has been wonderful for conditioning her.  In the Pessoa, after our trot warm up, she is now working on trot- canter transitions, spending 30 seconds in each gait.

Last week, while we were working in the Pessoa after I got home from work, she was in a princess mood.  Kersey sat in the center with me for a few minutes while I lunged Lucy, and then Kersey wandered over to the stream to go for a swim.  Lucy watched her go, watched her swim, and watched her shake herself out.  She watched and bucked and threw a fit.  She wasn't scared, she was looking for an excuse to complain. I simply sent her forward.  It's better that Lucy pitches a fit about Kersey swimming while on the lunge, than while I am on her back.

Sunday there wasn't a hint of attitude anywhere.  After we rode, we let Pistol and Lucy graze in the upper pasture for a few hours.

It was a very good Lucy day.

13 comments:

  1. I think the trail brings out the best in horses. They're such curious creatures who have a natural instinct to travel far distances. Mine always seem happier after a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on the horse. For horses that love trail, it is absolutely true. Lucy is a nervous wreck walking under trees and has trouble relaxing outside the arena. She likes to be in familiar places -- the arenas, her pasture and her stall. She would not be a safe trail horse. The rest of our horses love the trail.

      Delete
    2. Ah funny. I'm too conditioned for everything referring to trail rides. Where you said "after we rode" on Sunday, my mind automatically pictured you out on a trail! Lol. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  2. The third photo of Pistol is off the charts. Your pasture is looking so lush and you caught her just right. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. Pistol is looking great right now; perfect weight and almost clean. It was luck that the picture came out so well.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. Princess Lucy and Princess Carmen are very very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same thing when I read your posts about Carmen.

      Delete
  4. I love that third picture too. And all the green grass wow, so pretty where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy does sound slightly opinionated but your ride on Sunday sounds perfect. Pistol is very pretty. Love paint horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy is opinionated but she is never naughty; I'm not sure how you mix opinionated with obedient but she's figured it out.

      Delete
  6. An American in TokyoApril 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM

    That first photo is a beautiful photo of Lucy!
    If I ever buy a horse, I think I may stick to geldings...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think geldings are, in general, more easy going. They are like your guy friends -- they just want to have fun and aren't into the whole drama thing. Mares vary widely. There are those like Pistol who are rocks of stability and level headed and there are those like Lucy who are definitely moody. But, mares look out for you; they will be your best friend and your mother and your sister all rolled into one. I think geldings are more forgiving but mares give more of their heart. Just my opinion and experience, of course.

      Delete
    2. An American in TokyoApril 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM

      Thank you for your opinion and advice! I have only met mares who are moody and not much like a mother or sister. I would love to meet one someday who gives their heart! I guess I just have had some loving geldings in my day...ha ha!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!