Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Wednesdays With Tex

It's been a good week with Tex.

Last week and over the weekend, all I did with Tex was put on and take off his fly mask.  Saturday we spent most of the day at a friend's memorial service.  Sunday, I planned to take Tex out and groom him but my foot hurt like hell so I ended up spending the whole day on the couch with my coloring book.

Tex was very mellow about his fly mask and me approaching Saturday and Sunday.  I went from taking five or six cookies out to the pasture, to taking just three.  And, really, all I needed was two.  One for hello and one for "good boy" when the mask was off.  On Sunday evening, I removed Flash's fly mask first and then carried it by sticking my arm through the ear hole and letting it dangle.  Initially, I was going to slide my arm out and lay it on the ground before approaching Tex but he was so mellow that I just left it hanging there.  When I reached up to slide the fly mask over Tex's ears, Flash's mask swung close to Tex's face.  He didn't care.  I couldn't believe it -- and neither could Brett who was watching from the gate.

I think because Brett was tired of me being crabby on Sunday (pain will do that), he has been doing everything this week -- including dealing with Tex's fly mask.  He told me that Monday night he was going to leave it for me, but Tex had other ideas.  Brett went over to Flash and removed his fly mask, then hung it on the muck cart handle.  Flash left and went to the hay feeder.  When Brett turned around, Tex was standing in Flash's place waiting for his turn.  Brett removed the fly mask with no trouble, brushed Tex's face with his hand, and gave him a cookie.

When Brett moved to the girls' pasture and was busy picking up manure, I went to the barn and grabbed a couple cookies. Tex left his hay and walked over to me.  I gave him the cookies and just hung out with him for awhile, stroking his gorgeous burnished cinnamon neck and removing tangles from his mane with my fingers.  He watched me walk away to the pasture gate, and then turned and went back to the hay feeder.

I love riding Lucy, but there is something about Tex that pulls at my heart strings.

15 comments:

  1. Tex is like that shy, awkward kid who just wants to be friends but doesn't know how. (actually I was like Tex as a youngster)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit like that too -- maybe that is part of the pull I feel for Tex.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your foot still hurting. Sounds like things are really progressing with Tex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress with Tex! I think he wants to be able to trust people, I believe all horses do. You're making good inroads into giving him the confidence he needs to open his mind and heart for a more relaxed and trusting life around humans. I admire the work you're doing with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all your sensitive sharing about Tex. He looks and seems to be like a quarter horse I had several years ago that had similar traits. I love reading about him. Sorry your foot is still hurting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress is slow -- I'm glad I'm not boring everyone to death with these updates.

      Delete
  5. Some horses just get right to our hearts. I'm happy to ready about his progress. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tex is progressing, which is a good thing. I hope your foot mends very fast.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one gorgeous horse and it sounds like he knows you care about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is gorgeous too -- and the bond we are developing makes my heart sing.

      Delete
  8. I think I found an ad for Auke, the Friesian gelding you used to have. http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-1073944

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's him! His owner is going off to med school. She gave me first right of refusal when she knew she would have to sell him which was nice. But, I don't need another horse and we can't afford him.

      Delete
    2. I understand that! I wish I could afford him. He's gorgeous!

      Delete
  9. An American in TokyoJune 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM

    Awww, glad to hear that Tex seems like he is "talking" to you more!
    Wonderful!

    I hope you feel better soon! Your foot and back(?) must make it hard to get things done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing. Tex is full of good surprises.

    I hope your pain disappears soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!