Thursday, April 29, 2021

April Garden

 The garden is really coming to life.  Most of the perennials have broken their winter dormancy and the few laggards will follow soon.  The grass is green, the trees are leafing out, and the birds are busy building nests in the eaves on the porch, in the horse trailer hitch, in the barn rafters and the trees.  

Yellow iris are in full bloom.  I don’t know this variety’s name but it blooms twice, is healthy, and prolific.  The dwarf lilac in front is relatively new.  I planted three of them two years ago.  The dogs have kept two of them “well trimmed” by chewing on them and crashing through the planter.  But this one is doing very well.


Speaking of lilacs, I have more.  I just love these two varieties.  The first is called ‘Katherine Hanemeyer’ and is incredibly fragrant, in addition to being gorgeous.  The second is called ‘Sensation’ and has very unique and striking coloring with the burgundy petals outlined in white.  I only get a few blooms on this lilac but they make ‘em count.


I love violas.  I have different varieties, including Johnny Jump Ups and ‘Etain.’  They are very happy under the lilacs.


Earlier this month, my newest peony rewarded me with beautiful yellow fragrant blooms.  I found this plant when Brett and I were in Sonoma for my birthday, poking around a Ace Hardware nursery in Healdsburg.  The plant was pricey but, hey, it was my birthday.


Strawberries are starting to ripen.


Two of my new water trough planters have been planted.  This first one has chard, lettuce, beets, shallots and parsley.

The second one has sugar snap peas, more lettuce and chard.  There are also a couple zinnia plants at the front to encourage pollinators.  I tuck zinnias in all over the place: in my vegetable beds, in the flower beds and in the perennial planter.

My rhubarb from Skoog Farm is going crazy.  I’ve already made two cobblers with it — strawberry rhubarb and cherry rhubarb.  When I have more strawberries, I’ll make strawberry rhubarb jam.

In another week or so, I will plant my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.  The nights are still too cold in April for them — they go out around Mothers Day.  The tomato bed is currently planted with a cover crop of fava beans and red clover.  ...and volunteer poppies which I just can’t bear to pull out.




4 comments:

  1. Things are looking lovely there! I have a yellow iris that is the first to bloom, but sadly it doesn't flower twice. I wish it did it's such a cheerful colour. That yellow peony is gorgeous! I have a red peony that I transplanted 3 years ago that maybe, just maybe, it will bloom this year. They don't seem to take kindly to transplanting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a tour of your garden one day. It's so beautiful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden. I have those same lilacs, and planted 13 more this spring to make a fence line. I live in “The Lilac City.” That’s the nickname for Spokane. They’re just starting to bloom out here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was thinking about you and wondering if you have had to evacuate because of the Calder fire. Hope you are safe. Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!