Friday, March 26, 2021

Skunked

 Kersey is a very sweet, affectionate and obedient lab.  But she isn’t very smart and she isn’t very fast.  She’s getting up there in age and arthritis has really slowed her down,,, but she was never fast.  Most often, I use two nicknames with her: Old Lady and Dumb Dumb.  Affectionately, of course, because she is looking at me with her big wet brown eyes and slowly wagging her tail from side to side. 


Before we go to bed at night, we take the dogs out to pee.  They normally do their business and then come right back in, ready for bed.  Sometimes, Sage will take off barking at something but she’s never gone long.  Kersey just sniffs the grass, does her thing, and comes back up onto the porch.  A couple nights ago, Sage took off barking in the direction of the compost piles — and Kersey followed.  Sage usually runs off towards the front gate or barn which means she is probably chasing deer.  The compost piles are not a good place — skunks love the compost piles. 


Sage came back pretty quickly and headed for bed.  Kersey did not come back, despite me calling and calling and calling.  Brett came outside and took a turn at calling.  Then he got a flashlight, put on his boots, and headed off in the darkness to find her.  Which he did...by the compost piles.  He brought her into the house and called me over, “take a look and see if you think she got skunked.”  Um, yes.  She had rolled in the compost after getting hit with the oily spray so she was a lovely shade of black where the compost had stuck to the oil.  


We took her to the barn and gave her a bath.  This is the third time that she has been skunked.  She was very pleased with herself.  Thankfully, a mix of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dish soap works really well to remove the oil and odor.  I rubbed it onto the top of her head, around her eyes and muzzle, down her back and her left side — she was very thoroughly skunked.  Luckily, we have warm water in the horse wash stall in the barn.  And, I have all ingredients for skunk wash on the shelf because, like I said, she isn’t very smart and this isn’t the first time she’s been skunked.  It didn’t take too long to bathe her, but was not my preferred thing to be doing at 11pm on a cold night. 



And, yes, the house reeked from the brief time Kersey was inside before her bath.  We kept a window open all night and it was cold in the house in the morning.  


3 comments:

  1. Lots of work for you guys. I haven't seen any skunks around here, but I they must be around. If my Samson, the white one, ever got skunked, I have no idea what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There’s nothing like a late night dog bath to make you question life choices. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy we do not have to contend with skunks here on the island - although it sounds like you're a pro at post-skunk cleanings lol.

    Just got done with the aftermath of my new guy Quinn eating a rotten crab leg on the beach yesterday. I do my best to thwart his ambitions, but it went down the gullet before I could pry it out. (This was right after he had two different Portuguese men o'war in his mouth o.O) The smell + mess in his kennel this afternoon were epic and gag inducing. And don't ask how I definitely know it was a pointy old rotten crab leg...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!