Friday, December 11, 2015

Random Friday

1.  Thanks for all the supportive comments on me working with Mufasa/Cinnamon.  I've had a few people tell me that they think Cinnamon is a girl name.  Interesting... I see it as one of those unisex names.  We'll see how things go and if the name sticks.  I will probably call him Cinn for short; Cinnamon is a bit of a mouthful when you are trying to spit out "Cinnamon, whoa." 

2.  The horses got their fall vaccinations today.  A new vet (new to us) came out since our usual vet is teaching full time now.  Brett called me afterwards and said the new vet was really good with the horses.  She immediately pegged Lucy as the princess.  Okay, okay; that's a no-brainer; she's very obvious about it.  But Brett liked how she interacted with the horses and donkeys and they seemed to like her.  We don't have any vet-hating or fearing animals right now, thank goodness. 

3.  We are in the midst of another winter storm.  The first wave came in yesterday with heavy rain and hail.  It is spitting a bit still, but we should have clear weather tonight and tomorrow morning before then next wave arrives.  It is supposed to be equally as strong, but colder.  We have a chance of snow on Monday.  The Sierras have been getting a lot of snow which is fantastic for skiers the snow pack.  This morning, when I merged onto the freeway, on my way to work, I was immediately surrounded by cars sporting thick blankets of snow. 

4.  Brett and Pistol had their first real session at Windows to My Soul this week.  Pistol carried around a developmentally disabled young adult who had never been on a horse before.  Brett led her around while the therapists worked with the client.  Everyone did well.  They worked on breathing and balance, primarily.  Brett said that when the client was able to relax, Pistol gave a huge, relaxed exhale.  I'm so proud of both Brett and Pistol.

5.  I sure enjoyed the "Changing Lens" post comments.  I have some more questions and may do another post with them in the next few weeks.  Brett didn't comment on the mare v. gelding question but I'm guessing he doesn't have a clear preference.  For police work, Flash was the perfect soldier and partner.  For the kind of riding Brett does now, Pistol is the willing, careful partner he needs.  She is also very affectionate and demonstrative to Brett.  I love that.

4 comments:

  1. So interesting, the way things are working out with Cinammon and Pistol. I have a feeling all will be happy in the end. I guess you don't have much choice about the weather, but you should get some needed moisture. We are unseasonably warm. No snow to speak of yet, and today it is about 61 degrees with 7 more days of 50-60.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go through a couple names to find one that fit.

    Pistol sounds like an amazing horse, one of those that gifts many others with the opportunity to be close to horses. Our Old Red was a part time therapy horse before we got him. He has also been a bridge for so many people to experience the magic of riding. Golden horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense that the horse couldn't relax until the rider did so I don't know why I am always so surprised by their emotions. Kudos for Brett for doing that. I am thankful for your moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ity's great to catch up with your news. Pistol sounds like a sweet and caring horse, that big exhale says a lot. It's so great with all the snow in the Sierras. Here we got a little rain, some snow, and a whole lot of wind yesterday. Now it looks nice again outside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!