Sunday, December 8, 2019

Mandarin Marmalade

Gather a mix of oranges and lemons.  I use a ratio of 3-4 oranges to one lemon.  In this case I had a truckload of mandarins and so I used a two handfuls of mandarins to each lemon.  Most of the mandarins were half the size of the ones in this picture.

Quarter the fruit and put it in a big pot.  Cover it with water by an inch or so.  Bring it to a boil, simmer for five minutes, and then let is sit overnight in the fridge so the skins get nice and soft.

Then slice the fruit into thin strips (this is the tedious part).  Put them back in the pot with all the reserved liquid and boil for an hour.

Add sugar to taste.  Mandarins are very sweet so I didn’t need to add much to this batch.  Continue to boil until thick and syrupy.  Pour into sterilized jars and you’re done.  I love marmalade on English muffins or on a good croissant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting!