Friday, August 26, 2016

Random Friday

1.  The chick, christened "Dixie" by Camille (get it?  Dixie Chick), is still very much alive and running at top speed around the hen pen.  Every so often, a grumpy hen will peck it on the head when it tries to get a bite of the extra yellow squash I toss over the fence.  Other than that, it is well tolerated by the flock.  The rat zapper traps have been very effective -- seven or eight big rats so far.  The first few days we caught one or two rats each day.  Now, the traps are most often empty and, more importantly, there have been no more instances of rats dropping from the garage roof onto the ground next to me and scurrying away.  Talk about giving you a start!  It reminded me of Willard.  Eek.

2.  My foot is doing so much better.  It has been almost four months since it was crushed under Finessa's foot.  Last week I tried (again) to get around without my walking cast.  I bought some stiff leather work boots and my foot was pretty comfortable in it so I'm wearing them all the time now. I'm even wearing them to work; not exactly corporate attire -- but better than clomping around with a boot that looked like Darth Vader. We are going on vacation next week and I'm planning to leave the big walking cast at home.

3.  Yes, we are going on vacation.  This is the first vacation I've taken -- other than long weekends here and there -- since I started this job three years ago.  We are going to Alaska and we are going to be gone almost two weeks.  We went on an Alaskan cruise a number of years ago and loved the quiet grandeur and raw beauty of the bits and pieces we experienced then.  This time, we are taking a train inland, spending a few days at Denali, and going up to the Arctic National Park.

4.  Brett has been busy with his new project -- creating an obstacle course in the second arena.  We rarely use the arena and Brett would like to incorporate sensory work into his rides with Flash; since the two of them love (and excel at) them so much.  Earlier this week, Brett bought a big blue barrel to use.  He told me that Flash watched him unload it, and then started vigorously nodding his head as Brett took it into the barn.  (Tex watched from a safe distance, non-too-sure about the whole thing).  Brett said to me, "Flash sure seems happier, perkier and more engaged since I rode him the other day."  And I replied -- "of course, he does.  He's catching all that happy energy from you and he knows something is up."  Brett can't see it, but the way he is interacting with Flash has changed.  He points at him, in the manner of "you're next; I pick you" and Flash knows that signal well.  And Brett's energy is about "doing" something, instead of just "howdy and hello."  Flash knows.  He hasn't been Brett's partner for 16 years for nothing.

10 comments:

  1. Have a great time on vacation! Sounds like a great trip.

    Glad you're traps are doing the job. I should get some of those for here. Haven't got one yet with the regular traps. Could you tell me the name of what you have

    I'm sure Flash is looking forward to the obstacle course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trap we got is called a Rat Zapper. It was a bit pricey but it has been very effective and there isn't any "ick, squished rat" factor.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I'll have to get it. They're way too crafty to fall for these standa d traps we have.

      Delete
  2. Alaska sounds wonderful. Rats oh, I am not a fan at all. I am sorry your foot is still giving you trouble. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  3. North, to Alaska, I'm going North, the rush is on! I lived in Alaska as a little girl and would very much like to return to see it. I'm looking forward to living vicariously through you! Please share lots of pictures. I think, anywhere you point the camera, you'll get an award-winning shot. A train sounds FANTASTIC!!!!! Love "Dixie Chick"! That's a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take pictures. I'm not sure if I'll be able to download and post them but I will definitely point and shoot.

      Delete
  4. Somewhere along the way I must've missed the rat-dropping-from-the-ceiling post. I had a pet rat as a kid, but there's a huge difference between a pet rat and a feral rat. If a rat dropped next to me (!) I would've just tossed a match in the door and walked away! Your Alaska getaway sounds restful. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a pet mouse as a kid and my best friend had a pet rat. I used to let it ride around on my shoulder when I was at her house. But, like you said, a feral rat dropping to the ground next to me was a very different experience. I still give that spot a sideways look when I walk into the garden.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that the electric traps are working - I've always been curious. Alaska, though! I'm jealous. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An American in TokyoAugust 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM

    Alaska sounds wonderful! I hope you have a great time!

    I'm glad the rat zapper is working. I would never be able to get close even to a dead rat to throw it away! And dropping down on you! EWWW!

    The chick has beautiful feathers! I can't wait to see how the adult feathers look!

    Wonderful hearing about Flash getting excited! Do you think early retirement was a bit boring for him? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!