1. As July creeps to its close and August waits in the wings, the garden is in transition. My green beans are spent, but my peppers and eggplant are hitting their stride. Summer squash and rhubarb never quit.
2. Figs and grapes are growing and plumping against the fence.
3. Tomatoes are getting heavy on the vine and should be ripe soon. The cherry tomatoes have already teased me with a taste or two.
4. Squirrels picked every single plum and all the Honeycrisp apples. I still have a few apples on a different tree but I have no expectation that they will last long enough to get ripe. We do have wild blackberries though, a bumper crop this year, growing over and through the pasture fences.
5. Lilies and sunflowers are dominating the flower bed while the daisies catch their breath before returning in the fall.