Sunday, May 14, 2017

There It Is

This morning Brett and I rode together again.  But, this time he rode Pistol while I rode Lucy.  It was a whole different ballgame.  Both horses were happy and relaxed -- and focused.

Lucy and I had the best ride we've had in years.  Seriously, the best ride since before I was injured.  Probably the best ride since fall of 2015.  She had her forward floaty trot going; with only a couple minor spooks.  She felt so good, that I decided to ask for canter.  She pushed into it like a Porsche changing gears.  She was round and smooth; relaxed and comfortable.  We came back to trot, changed directions, and did it the other way.  Same story.  And then, that was all she wanted to do.  I picked her back up after a nice stretchy trot break and she said, "Canter?  Please canter?"  ...so we did.

Later, I groomed Jackson and put him out in the arena for the afternoon.  It did wonders for his feet -- well, other than the part where he was so happy that he tried to rear and couldn't.  But, the sand was very dry and warm (despite the air being a bit chilly in the breeze).  When I picked up his feet tonight to put on the antibiotic, I was amazed at how much better they looked.  I think the dry warmth helped suck out all the moisture.

We put Tex and Flash up in the top pasture for a few hours.  They were in heaven and Tex was easy to catch afterward.  He watched Brett halter Flash, and then followed them down to where I was standing.


We leave on Wednesday (after Jackson's vet appointment) for our liberty training clinic.  I'm so excited!  Isn't it funny how one part of your heart can be heavy with worry and another part can be excited?  I feel like a ping pong ball.  I was bouncing around all day emotionally: worried about Jackson, excited for the clinic, missing my mom (Mothers Day has been hard for me since she died), laughing when Jackson groomed me back, loving the way Tex looks at me, and happy about my ride on Lucy.

Lucy and Pistol had a turn in the back 40, as well.  I think everyone had a good day.

Brett complained because I wouldn't let him weed whack or mow.  I said that I wanted to hear the birds singing while I was gardening, not the mower.  He grumbled and went back in the house to watch some golf tournament on TV.  And I enjoyed my peaceful afternoon filled with sunshine and birdsong, and an occasional cold breeze.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful day! I'm with you- I would much rather hear the birds but am not as good at convincing Ed. However, he might have gone in to watch the tournament anyway ( I bet he and Brett were watching the same one yesterday). Your grass is so thick and lush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is good! Your pastures look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference a day makes -- in all areas of your horse life. I love those kind of rides. I'm looking forward to our horses making the full turn to their summer brains. And I'm glad to read Jackson is feeling somewhat better. Looking forward to reading about your At Liberty clinic. That is going to be very rewarding, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An American in TokyoMay 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM

    Sounds like a wonderful day for everyone, except maybe Brett(?). Ha ha!

    I was in California last week and the weather was pretty much perfect the whole time I was there! I sure do miss that great weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!