Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage

You know the tune; sing along as I tell the story of Jackson and Pistol.

The sun was shining on the weekend, and Jackson is now under the careful care of our new (awesome) farrier.  He's feeling great, walking great, and ready to rock and roll.  I moved him into the arena/paddock with Lucy and Pistol.  He immediately rolled, then did airs above ground, a few rodeo bronc bucks, and a lovely elevated trot.

Oh, my.  Said Pistol (who is in heat).

Lucy acted as chaperone but when I worked with her Saturday, Pistol and Jackson were left alone together.

Pistol has been married a few, ahem, times.  She's been bred and had a baby and knows the drill.

Jackson was gelded at a young age (I assume).  He was interested but confused.

They touched noses, nuzzled each other, and Jackson went so far as to grab the crest of her neck.  Pistol lifted her tail and parked herself.  I'm ready, big boy.

Jackson just stood there so she carefully backed herself up, until her butt was on Jackson's chest and her tail was up his nose.

He looked at me with a mix of utter confusion and, dare I say, boredom.

Of course, as soon as I put Lucy back in the arena, she broke it up.  I think Jackson was secretly relieved.

7 comments:

  1. He's a smart boy --passed the IQ test! I was at a horse behavior class last night and they released a couple geldings with a mare. One of the geldings was smart, like Jackson, and even tried to warn his buddy,but the other wouldn't listen and started flirting. Long story short, he eventually got kicked and then went off to hide behind the smart one. It was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well told romance story Annette! Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An American in TokyoApril 25, 2017 at 5:26 PM

    How funny!!

    I never knew that some geldings wouldn't even be interested in "getting married"!! I thought they would at least give it a shot if the lady was waiting and ready, like Pistol!! Ha ha!!

    Lucy to the rescue!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Pistol. Just looking for a good time, and Jackson was interested but clueless. Wonderful retelling of the (brief) romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahahahaha...that is too funny!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!