Monday, May 23, 2016

Green Light

I've been going to physical therapy and doing my exercises at home like a good girl.  My back felt pretty good over the weekend and I considered cancelling my physical therapy appointment this morning.

I told my therapist that the results of my x-ray showed no disk damage (hooray) but definite arthritis. She told me that arthritis in the back causes the spaces between the disks to shrink, resulting in less space for the nerves -- and hence they are more easily squished and squeezed.  I apparently made mine quite angry.

"So," she asked, "have you ridden your horse lately?"

"No.  But, I will admit that I've been thinking about it.  When my back hurt, I had no interest in riding but now I look at my horse and I want to ride."  Sheepishly, I added "I'm tempted to try riding this coming weekend."

"I'm happy to hear that."  -- wait!  What?  Did she say what I think she did?

She continued, "Your core is much stronger now and your back feels good.  I would like you to ride this weekend -- taking it easy, of course.  That way, if it bothers you afterwards, you can come in for your appointment next week and we can re-evaluate your game plan.  I'd like to test how riding goes while you are still an active patient with us."

"And, besides, you should be able to do what you love."

Instead of riding, Brett and I have been spending our weekends at winery functions.  We went to a lovely event on Saturday -- a stroll through the vineyards with hors d'ouvres followed by a lovely meal, at a vineyard near Sutter Creek.  Sunday, we spent the day in Sonoma.  The weather was cool and blustery, but the only rain we got fell at night so it didn't dampen our activities at all.

If all goes well in the saddle this weekend, I suspect we will be doing less of this.
 

8 comments:

  1. Why don't we do both, ride the horses in the vineyards! Oh, I forgot, it's Lucy you're going to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Great news. I can't wait to hear about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Good luck and have a little wine to celebrate afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it goes well, I'm going to have a BIG glass of wine!

      Delete
  4. That's wonderful! I like your doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An American in TokyoMay 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM

    Great news!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!