Sunday, October 12, 2014

Staycation Day 2

Today Brett and I were very busy on our respective projects. He was busy painting the new well house most of the day.

 He did groom the dressage court this morning in an effort to break up the hard sand for me before I rode Lucy. We both agree that we are going to need to add new sand in the spring. It was definitely better that before he dragged it, but still too thin and hard for serious work. There isn't any point in adding sand now, some of it would be lost in the first good gully washing storm. And, with shorter fall and winter days, I'm limited to riding on the weekends -- weather permitting.

It was warm when I rode Lucy at 10am. She's got her winter coat coming in so neither of us were thrilled with the sun beating down on us at the tie rail. I tacked her up as fast as I could and then headed out to the dressage court. Jackson was inside his run-in shed, in the shade, and he called to Lucy as we walked by but he didn't come out to visit. She was a bit sluggish at first so we did a series of walk-trot-walk transitions. Walk to a letter, trot the next two letters, walk one letter, etc. She woke up and was nicely in front of my leg. It wasn't a long ride, but it was good ride. Lucy was stretchy and responsive and foamy at the mouth. Oh, and sweaty. I rinsed her off afterwards and then let her graze on the dandelions and grass that have emerged since the last rain. When she was done, she walked over to me and politely asked to be returned to her pasture -- where she promptly rolled.

I spent the afternoon in the extra stall in the barn that we use for storage. I went through 30 boxes of books and other stuff, looking for a few select items. Of course, they were in the last box that I opened. In the search process I came across a box full of Camille's Breyer horses. She's been worried that they got lost in the move.

And, lastly, happy birthday to Sandy Savage -- my trainer extraordinaire. I know Lucy and I haven't been down for a lesson in forever, but I hear your voice in my head every time I ride. I hope you had a wonderful day, full of good wine and good food, and hugs and kisses from those you love.



1 comment:

  1. It's six months later and I'm still going through boxes, don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!