Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Hot and Dry

The hot, dry weather is back.  We had a break for two days with overcast skies and temperatures in the low 80s.  It was heaven but it didn't last.  We didn't get any measurable rain, just a few scattered rain drops to tease us.  Me especially.  I am not a hot weather person.  Doing barn chores (mucking the pastures especially) when it is in the 90s is a sure fire recipe for nausea and a pounding headache.
Yep, 98F at 7pm.  Nasty.
As we move into August, the days are getting noticeably shorter.  I love that the mornings are cool but I don't love that it doesn't get light until after 6am.  I tried riding Lucy before work yesterday and ended up getting into work much later than I wanted.  Even if I only work Lucy for 20 minutes, it is a solid hour and a half endeavor; grooming and tacking up before and doing the same plus wiping all the dust off of my tack afterwards. No more morning rides for me until next summer. Bummer.

Brett and I sat on the front porch with a glass of wine this evening, as we do most evenings.  Kersey lounged at our feet.  We came inside when dusk fell -- at 8:00.  A few weeks ago, we were sitting outside until almost 9:00.  Of course, that meant we were eating dinner at 9:30 some evenings -- just in time to take a shower and hit the sack.

The comments on Kersey's weight ran very heavy on the "get a puppy" track.  We aren't ready to get another dog and Kersey is very happy -- VERY happy -- being the center of attention.  We got Kersey, initially, to be a companion to Sedona.  Four years ago, Brett was still working part-time and Sedona spent too much time alone.  She was bored and depressed.  She needed a puppy.  The situation is very different now.  Brett is fully retired, Kersey is rarely alone, and Kersey enjoys being a house dog in the evenings and on hot afternoons.  She and Brett happily wait out the hot hours in the house.  I've started walking Kersey in the mornings -- I can still fit that in my schedule before work.  We both are enjoying the walks; Kersey sniffs in squirrel holes and examines coyote scat.  I smell the pines and take in the panoramic view of the Sierras bathed in morning light, at the top of the hill where we turn back for home.

6 comments:

  1. I can't handle the heat either. It's very hard to work outside when it is that hot and humid. I'm sure Kersey appreciates her house time with Brett. She has to love the walks and extra attention. Fortunately we have been in the low 70s for days....that, I can deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of Kersey in the water trough. Such a Lab!

    Sounds like you have a good plan of action to help her shed a few pounds. Puppies are a LOT of work... I totally understand why you would not want to go that route! I also understand about her enjoying being only dog - ours is like that too. Hopefully the new dog food and a morning walk will be just the thing to help her slim down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds more like our Texas weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette, I have noticed too here that the days are much shorter... we have lost over an hour of light now. It's comfortable (despite the heat) to sit out on the east side patio in the evening... and it seems indulgent to sleep a little later in the darker mornings. We feel the same way about getting a companion for Lilly, by the way. Time for her to get some full attention! Praying no fires come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The excessive heat gets to me too, just can't work outside in it anymore. We've had about 2 weeks in the 90's, but this week is cooler, low to mid 80's. Much better! Supposed to heat up again this weekend though. I love your new header!! Typical Lab...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm missing the light into the late evening too! A Hope you get some rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!